• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anyone used the Kelton McNaughton gate (not center saver) or Phil Irons Gate?

I've been hollowing for years using the Roll Munro hollower and like it. I've never felt the need for a captured hollowing system (I have not tried one) but am always interested in tools that can improve my technique.
The Kelton Gate shown here seems promising. I am not sure if it's still available but before I start to chase one down, I thought I'd ask the community for feedback.
The Phil Irons gate from woodcut looks similar but perhaps a bit bigger and so harder to get into narrower mouths on vessels.

Anyone used one .....or used one and stopped ;)

Attachments

• hollowing-gate__66079.jpg
    hollowing-gate__66079.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Gate_in_use__14045.jpg
    Gate_in_use__14045.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 20
No. I have not used the gate. I do have a pair of the Kelton hollowers and use them freehand. What problem do you expect this gate to solve? As I look at it, it does not seem to do anything a tool rest does. Can't tell, but it does not appear to have anything to counter the torque of the tool wanting to rotate, or for the tendency for the handle to want to rise.

I'm also just exploring free hand, and have a homemade version of a tool with an outrigger, like the D-Way. This actually works reasonably well, but not as stable as a true captured system.

Some hollowing rigs (Steve Sinner, Trent Bosch) have a small post on the tool rest that you can leverage your tool against as you pivot the tool. The same type of pivot can be used when hand hollowing. This can be used equally with the tool rest inside a large entry hole, or outside a small hole. I learned to hollow without that type of pivot. I tried a homemade version of the Irons gate, and never got used to it.

The Kelton Gate shown here seems promising. I am not sure if it's still available but before I start to chase one down, I thought I'd ask the community for feedback.
The Phil Irons gate from woodcut looks similar but perhaps a bit bigger and so harder to get into narrower mouths on vessels.

Anyone used one .....or used one and stopped ;)

I have used the earlier version of the Iron's Gate for many years and am still using it.

I do all of my hollow forms without a hollowing rig and found the gate arrangement works well for freehand hollowing.

The actual gate on both the Kelton and the earlier Iron's are about the same size/height and that is the limiting factor with both of those for positioning the gate inside the form while hollowing. I haven't found the width of the horizontal arm to be the limiting factor there.

Last edited:
Back