• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Are other pear trees (not Bradford Pear) good for turning?

A friend is having a pear tree cut down in a couple of weeks. He knows that it is not a Bradford pear tree. Are other varieties of pear trees good for turning?

Unfortunately, I will be out of town for a couple of weeks when he has it cut down so the ends of the logs will not be coated to slow down the drying process. Will this be a major problem?

I have turned a couple of different pear trees. They all cut like butter. Talk to your friend about keeping the logs long and maybe covering them if possible. Most tree services, unless told otherwise will cut trees into firewood size.

robo hippy

I have turned a couple of different pear trees. They all cut like butter. Talk to your friend about keeping the logs long and maybe covering them if possible. Most tree services, unless told otherwise will cut trees into firewood size.

robo hippy
He is going to ask the tree service to cut them into 3 foot lengths and then to put them in his garage so I can get them when I get back. He also has a maple tree that will be taken down. I am going over to see how big they are this afternoon.

Back