• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Arthur Dubois

Good morning and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all members!
My name is Art and I live in Northwestern Ontario, Canada, near Thunder Bay. We are about 350 miles due north of Minneapolis/St. Paul. I'm 72 years old, retired, and never touched a piece of lumber before 2015 and last year I discovered the lathe. I am obsessed with it!
I started out making canes because of a mobility issue but after 26 canes, my wife pleaded with me to make something else. So I started out making bowls, then round lidded "boxes", salt and pepper shakers, and just made my first salad bowl set.
I don't have a lathe but rather attend a Senior Center where they have all the tools needed. But Santa did bring me Robert Sorby chisels. The Center is closed now until January 7th, so it's time to read, study and learn more about this fascinating hobby. This site has provided me with lots of instruction and ideas. I will attend seminars and demonstrations as far as 700 miles from home, which would include Chicago area and Missouri.
I look forward to learning something new about turning each and every day!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum and Merry Christmas, Arthur. Many of us can identify with your obsession over woodturning ... it's certainly what happened to me. I had done "flat and square" woodworking for many years and didn't have any interest in woodturning. Then when I retired I thought that a lathe would be handy for occasionally making table legs. That was fifteen years ago and so far I've only turned one table leg, but I've turned lots of other things and meanwhile my other woodworking tools have seen very little use.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome, John! And also to all others who welcomed me to the group! Unfortunately my Center where my lathe is is closed until Jan 7, but that gives me plenty of time to study and view....but I'm sure I'll never be able to duplicate some of this work! Amazing!

Arthur,
Time to put your vehicle up on blocks and mount a bowl chuck to one of the drive wheels and turn a 24" bowl. :)
Haha - never thought of that (nor have I ever heard it before!). My biggest bowl is 11-1/2", the maximum that the old (70-ish) lathe can handle, but certainly at this stage in my career that's big enough! When I mounted the laminated block onto the chuck and got that doo-wop sound I was about to give up. But I persevered and the bowl actually turned out ok, for my eyes at least!

Attachments

• salad bowls2.JPG
    salad bowls2.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 14
Hi Art, welcome, I do some wood turning, and live in Atikokan, and am a member of SAW, wood workers in Thunder Bay, there are a couple of people that turn but mostly flat wood working.
Still nice to get together, next meeting is January 21, maybe you can come and visit.
Maybe this will get the info you need/want ?

http://search.211north.ca/record/TBY1211

Hi Art, welcome, I do some wood turning, and live in Atikokan, and am a member of SAW, wood workers in Thunder Bay, there are a couple of people that turn but mostly flat wood working.
Still nice to get together, next meeting is January 21, maybe you can come and visit.
Maybe this will get the info you need/want ?

http://search.211north.ca/record/TBY1211
G'day Leo! I just realized that there were posts replying to my introduction, yours being one of them. Sorry I didn't visit sooner...:>(( Getting to be spring (finally) and so in the summer I just do some glue-ups in my little workshop (no lathe) and then when fall comes, I have lots of projects to do in Rural 60 Plus! If you're driving through Kakabeka Falls en route to Thunder Bay, Rural 60 Plus is just 2 kms east of the Kakabeka Legion, open daily weekdays 10 am till 4. Stop in to say hello!!

G'day Leo! I just realized that there were posts replying to my introduction, yours being one of them. Sorry I didn't visit sooner...:>(( Getting to be spring (finally) and so in the summer I just do some glue-ups in my little workshop (no lathe) and then when fall comes, I have lots of projects to do in Rural 60 Plus! If you're driving through Kakabeka Falls en route to Thunder Bay, Rural 60 Plus is just 2 kms east of the Kakabeka Legion, open daily weekdays 10 am till 4. Stop in to say hello!!

I might just do that Arthur, though usually we are all gung-ho to get where we are going, and thanks for your reply, be good.

Back