• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

August 2021 Turning Challenge — Turn a Bowl or Platter with Embellished Rim (+ vote & results)

Vote for your favorite bowl/platter with embellished rim. The poll is closed

• Brian Horais -- post #2

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • William Rogers -- post #5

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Ricc Havens -- post #6

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Bernie Hrytzak -- post #7

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
August Brian Horias.jpg August William Rogers.jpg
August Ricc Havens.jpg August Bernie Hrytzak.jpg

The August challenge was to turn a bowl or platter with an embellished rim. There were no restrictions on the embellishment and no size restrictions. Only one entry (and only one photo) was allowed per person. Turnings had to be started no earlier than August 3, 2021 ... (no old photos allowed). Entries were to be posted in this thread. The deadline for posting entries was midnight Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) August 24, 2021. Voting will take place from August 25 through midnight UTC August 31.

Just as we did last month, you are allowed only one vote and once you have voted you won't be able to go back and change your vote. After you have voted you will be able to track the vote totals. The voting is secret (just like a real election) so nobody other than you can see who you voted for (not even the moderators/administrators). The voting will end at midnight UTC August 31, 2021. In case of a tie vote, the forum moderators will gather in a virtual smoke-filled room to sort out the pecking order.

Congratulations to Don Rabchenuk for winning the July Challenge.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Great contest Emiliano! Here's my entry for the August contest. My platter was turned from a solid plank of walnut. Overall diameter of the platter is 12 inches. The handles were cut, drilled and carved to create their shape. Texturing was added to the sections where the handles 'attach' to the platter center section to give them a hammered metallic look. Embellishments were added to the platter rim with pyrography and rotary tools to enhance the overall look. Finish is Watco oil, buffed on the Beall system.

platter 5a.jpg

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
UTC is pretty much the equivalent to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) so, depending on your time zone (East Coast is GMT -5 , if I remember right) which would be GMT -7 for mountain time zone... So, it'd be like 1 AM on the 11th in Greenwich right now (a little before 9 PM here, 7 PM Mountain time)
*Edit to add* Or, if you have Windows PC, you can set up multiple clocks on your tool tray to show UTC and other time zones...

I really loved that opalescent egg! Wonderful!

Just so I understand, what exactly qualifies as an embellished rim?

Maple platter 12 1/2 " dia. x 1" thick, Waves and a cliff with a lighthouse on top.
Rim is flat with bead on outside, flat and textured bead on inside. The flat area has round inlays of a pattern made out of round segments made from maple,walnut,paduauk and cherry. Inlay produced by boring holes with forsner bits and filling with turned plugs, then drilling out again (smaller) and so on.
Then using a plug cutter to cut the pattern out and plug the holes in the platter. Time consuming!

DSC_0005-a.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
We've reached the deadline for posting pictures for the August challenge. Now it's time for forum members to choose the winner of this month's challenge to turn a bowl or platter with an embellished rim.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Congratulations to Bernie Hrytzak, the winner of the August Turning Challenge. His maple platter has really nice feathering and a beautifully decorated rim. And, it is very easy to see the waves, cliff, and lighthouse in the feathering.

Congrats, Bernie!! Truly beautiful work of art. The waves and cliffs and lighthouse, amazing what nature can do!

I was away at a lake resort with my family so just found out today that I was given the honor for Aug.
Thanks so much everyone for voting for me. Thank you to Bill, Emiliano and Jon for your comments, much appreciated!
I would love to see you do a demo of the process.
Something to consider.

Back