• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Austin Kliniske

I'm Austin and I turned back in the mid 200s for a few years recently, about December 2023 got back into it

My father art did start a business based on turnings in the 80s around the time I was borne selling large segmented work 3 to 6 foot a few 15 foot pieces

This spring I touched base with friends one who has work in the smithsonian the other founding member of the aaw

Sense then I've still basically been on my own with a little advice here and there

I'd say my skill sets advanced significantly sense December, I've made a couple 3 foot tall podlets and have been practicing hollow forms, green turning and such

Launching my own backyard art gallery soon under arkraftwoodproducts . Com my wife curates the media and site and she will be doing her metal work and hopefully some pottery alongside my turnings

At the moment I'm trying to learn to turn thin, like .5 and .25 mm thin stuff as well as refine my hollow forms

I originally signed up here to ask about ring cutters, I've found my solution

I also have a relatively extensive metal working facility and run a component parts factory where we make most of the decking screw hole plugs sold around the world, if you've bought and used an ipe deck screw hole plug I made it

I have a modified pre 1920s brown and sharp metal lathe with a 22" swing and 6' bed

I guess I'm basically here to start networking

received_310924257966889.jpegIMG_20230906_174957680.jpg IMG_20230908_174954536.jpgIMG_20230822_151742890~2.jpg

The broken piece did survive I just put my finger through it, 4' handle with the proform and a shank extension, wet poplar vase made with the pro form and my first two tall podlets

Hi Austin, welcome from Chattanooga! I recognize those pod lets from another forum. Good stuff!
I'm on Facebook I've made a grip of em and published a tutorial, I was struggling with a 6 thou movement in my bearings while learning to make em, found If I got thin enough to need to hand steady I could still turn with the gimped machine, was able to get to 1.5mm, then when I fixed it I got a bowl in poplar down to .25mm, ruined it but fighting through paid off

Welcome

What brand bearing did you go with? (just being nosey)
I have no idea they are opposing thrust bearings, I paid someone to machine years ago, and they put both bearing inside that same direction so I had to switch one around and re turn the bearing pocket and i got it too deep, took me forever to figure it out because my taper had wore aswell after installed a new chuck so I kept looking at the threats I turned and the taper first. My guess is the bearing were just laying around I've got 2 barns full of motors and metal varying machines my old man's collected

Back