• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Axminster positive pressure filtered face shield

While this is my first post to this group I'll have to save the introduction to another day.

My father in law, turning for a good bit longer than me, seems to have developed COPD or at the very least some fairly serious lung ailment and is looking for possibilities for a filtered air mask for turning.

He is in his late 80s and I am concerned about the usual factors of cost, efficacy and comfort. I worry a bit about this last one at his age.

I read what I could find here about some choices, notably pretty expensive ones, but I have not seen any comments about one sold in the UK from Axminster. I looks like it could be top heavy but I don't really know. It describes having positive pressure and that this is 'better' than the others. If my father-in-law does have early stages of COPD I suspect that the effort to inhale might be made easier by such positive pressure.

That is speculation though. The ones listed in this forum seem to get very expensive, although the Trend and the Axminster are around $300 (USD) and already not cheap.

Thank you all,

Dominic Ryan

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You're right, they are expensive, but high quality and high cost go hand in hand. The most expensive ones are mainly aimed at industrial customers where respiratory protection against dust is a serious issue. Part of the price is due to the certification testing to insure that they will provide adequate protection. The positive pressure isn't exactly comparable to a CPAP or similar type of breathing device. The pressure is only sufficient to keep a fresh supply of filtered air to the wearer and also to keep dusty air from entering the helmet/shield/mask. Being heavy or unbalanced is a definite concern. Until very recently I wasn't bothered by the weight of a helmet, but now I can go only a couple hours before I need to rest.

Thanks for the reply. I take it that you don't have experience with the UK one? They will ship to the USA but I don't know if it is any better. I'd love to find someone with experience with it.

Actually I
When I went to check on the product, the link is below, I now get a message saying that they cannot ship here. That is a change in the last 24 hrs. I don't know why. I'd still be interested in any thoughts on this in case there is a way to source it.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-apf-10-evolution-powered-respirator-101809
posted too quickly. They have a US supplier now:
https://pekesafety.com/product/powercap-powered-particulate-respirator/

With COPD it might not be so much as filtering the air but oxygen supply. True dust is a concern for all of us but adding COPD complicates everything. Now add age and stamina to the formula and the helmet type filters may not be the answer. Cost being a factor this option may not make the banker happy but may be better for the problem at hand. Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders has added This https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/all-respirators/products/cleanspace2-respirator

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
When I went to check on the product, the link is below, I now get a message saying that they cannot ship here. That is a change in the last 24 hrs. I don't know why. I'd still be interested in any thoughts on this in case there is a way to source it.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-apf-10-evolution-powered-respirator-101809

The problems that I see with that respirator are the low air flow and the visor can't be raised. The location of the blower,filters, and battery makes me think that it isn't balanced.

With COPD it might not be so much as filtering the air but oxygen supply. True dust is a concern for all of us but adding COPD complicates everything. Now add age and stamina to the formula and the helmet type filters may not be the answer. Cost being a factor this option may not make the banker happy but may be better for the problem at hand. Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders has added This https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/all-respirators/products/cleanspace2-respirator

The problem that I see with the mask assembly looks like it isn't compatible with glasses.

I remember a big commotion about the Axminster mask over here - the online ads included a picture of someone surrounded by dust while emptying the collector in a dust extractor and apparently it didn't filter down far enough to do the job safely. Some were taking them back for a refund. (they may have changed the filters by now?) I bought the Trend which does filter down adequately for that job - a job I'm sure compares to using a lathe, sanding in particular. It is top heavy, which doesn't bother me at the moment but I could see how it might in time. The mask section lifts so I can fiddle with my glasses without removing the helmet.

I have the unit and it is a available from JSP called the power cap active powered respirator. It is worth every penny. It is comfortable to wear and easily put on so you will use it. It is light weight and not top heavy. I was introduced to it during a course with Steve Hatcher. It is well made and I wouldn’t turn without it being on. Everyone that has seen mine liked it . Some had the trend and didn’t want to spend the money again. The price in the US is more than in England but if you paid shipping it comes out to be similar.
Richard Kane

I tried out the Axminster at AAW. It is very lightweight compared with the trend, but I was a little disapointed with the clarity of the visor. That is something you'd want to evaluate for yourself.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I tried out the Axminster at AAW. It is very lightweight compared with the trend, but I was a little disapointed with the clarity of the visor. That is something you'd want to evaluate for yourself.
When I got my first face shield, many years ago, it was horribly foggy. Until I removed a plastic protector over it. LOL

I have the unit and it is a available from JSP called the power cap active powered respirator. It is worth every penny. It is comfortable to wear and easily put on so you will use it. It is light weight and not top heavy. I was introduced to it during a course with Steve Hatcher. It is well made and I wouldn’t turn without it being on. Everyone that has seen mine liked it . Some had the trend and didn’t want to spend the money again. The price in the US is more than in England but if you paid shipping it comes out to be similar.
Richard Kane

I totally agree. I have a beard, wear glasses, and have a bad neck, but I don't turn anything without wearing it. The biggest problem I have is that I sometimes forget I'm wearing it and try to blow dust off of something, then feel like a fool. The only time I notice the motor sound is if the shop is really quiet. If I have the air filter or dust collector on I can't really hear it. I bought mine from Peke Safety. I got it when they had an introductory discount for a package deal with spare filters, etc. The filtration is rated down to 1 micron or 0.5 micron, I forget which. I haven't tried the Trend unit, so I can't compare the weight, but I have a really messed up neck and it doesn't bother me to wear the helmet for extended periods. It's light enough, comfortable, and easy to put on. The visor doesn't lift, but it's easy to lift it when needed, like if you're about to sneeze. Trust me, it's a good idea to lift it before a sneeze. :eek:
One thing to be aware of is that they make two versions of it. One is cheaper but doesn't offer much impact resistance. The higher priced one is rated for impact according to some European rating standard.

I agree with Pic and Richard, Got mine in July last year and have found it works very well.Got it as show from Pete safety
Bob.

I have the Peak, also, and like it a lot. Bought it at SWAT last year. I had a Trend which did a good job. However, it was heavier, unbalanced, and it was a pain to clean the filters. I think the Peak Power Cap is better made, and the filters are not "fuzzy" like the Trend. They can easily be vacuumed from the outside without having to manipulate anything. You will also be impressed by being readily able to see how much stuff they kept from your lungs! BTW, the Peak also has a Li-ion battery and comes with a charging cradle. The Trend uses Ni Cads and Trend will bump you ~$50 for a cradle that probably costs them $.50 to make! In fairness, Trend has been very responsive anytime I had a problem. There also IS a slight difference in visual quality in that, the Power Cap having a more abrupt curve to the face shield, it does distort a little bit. Not enough to bother me, though. I like it a lot.

I bought the Powercap last winter and so far has lived up to my expectations. Lightweight, balanced, quiet. Thought the trend was to bulky

Paul

Looked at the Peke Powercap at the virtual symposium and decided instead on their CleanAir PAPR with belt mounted filter/blower. Used it only one day so far but like it a LOT (this is already my third post tonight...I should ask for a commission :)

A bit late to the party, but for those of you who said they had the Axminster, Powercap or respirator sold by Peke, I was curious how you feel about them now. Have they held up?
Are you still happy with them? Anything I should know before before buying. Thank you.

Vic, I bought the Peke CleanAir in July. Am very happy with it. I have fallen into the habit of just using it whenever I use the lathe. It’s comfortable, and not very noisy - I haven’t had to turn up the music I listen to, and talk with my wife with normal voices if she comes in without taking it off. I’ve probably used it 80-100hrs so far and recommend it.

Vic, I bought the Peke CleanAir in July. Am very happy with it. I have fallen into the habit of just using it whenever I use the lathe. It’s comfortable, and not very noisy - I haven’t had to turn up the music I listen to, and talk with my wife with normal voices if she comes in without taking it off. I’ve probably used it 80-100hrs so far and recommend it.
Thank you very much. I'm tired of scratchy eyes and stuffed nose.

Back