• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Baldor grinder and CBN wheels

I’m considering dedicating my Baldor 8100W exclusively for my turning tools. I’m looking for input on mounting the Woodturners Wonders or D-way CBN wheels on that grinder.

I wish to keep the guards on the grinder to contain the steel swarf from the tool. I know the claims that the guards are not need because the CBN wheels can’t explode, but no guards also means the wheels broadcast steel particles. The unprotected wheels are also susceptible accidental contact by other objects (Murphy’s Law).

My plan is to extend the outer guard out per Ernie Conover’s video. My question is how to address the inner guard.

Thanks.

Website
www.cutthroatwoodworks.com
Here’s how I addressed my issues. This is a Baldor 7”. Wheels are Wood Turners Winders and 1.5” wide. I added 4 standard 1/4” washers to each bolt point in the gap. Most if the dust is sent thru the back and I have cheapo magnets back there loaded with steel. However, i have fought with the massive guards for a year and will likely remove them if I keep the grinder. I have kids in the shop frequently and guards have always been important but this grinder goes unused because the guards are prohibitive to use with many tools and the Oneway setup.

16732CB8-8DDE-412F-88FF-230EB38AE07E.jpeg
393D2C52-5375-4906-8D0E-FF9F8B3BBAB2.jpeg

Here’s how I addressed my issues. This is a Baldor 7”. Wheels are Wood Turners Winders and 1.5” wide. I added 4 standard 1/4” washers to each bolt point in the gap. Most if the dust is sent thru the back and I have cheapo magnets back there loaded with steel. However, i have fought with the massive guards for a year and will likely remove them if I keep the grinder. I have kids in the shop frequently and guards have always been important but this grinder goes unused because the guards are prohibitive to use with many tools and the Oneway setup.

View attachment 41771
View attachment 41770
Thanks for the input Scott. Did you have to remove the original inner washers?

I use two cow ruminal magnets under each wheel. Not rare earth magnets, but they pick up at lot. Far less metal dust under and around the grinder than before.

If you have other 8” grinders with less motor, and you do other grinding work that may require some motor oomph, you might use one of them. I have an old 7” Baldor that I use for that purpose, and use a 1/2 hp 8” for turning tools - slower spinup, but it never bogs with turning tools.

Not sure if I show it on my sharpening video or not... I took the original grinding wheel washers off of the Baldor. I had a 5/8 thick washer made to space the wheel far enough away from the housing so it didn't rub. I did saw a small slot in the washer to account for the nib that sticks up out of the arbor shaft. Without that, you don't have enough thread on the shaft to be able to tighten it down. I do leave the outside wheel guard off. Magnets do help pull some of the metal dust out of the air. The grinder metal dust can float in the air like the wood dust does. At present, no one makes an affordable dust collection system for our grinders, and that metal dust is not any better for us than the wood dust. The inside wheel guard HAS to stay on, to protect the inside of the motor.

I just do platform sharpening, so using the Oneway Wolverine jig is not a consideration for me, though I may have to rethink that for having play dates with other turners. Only real solution I have seen is to cut the vertical post off of the Wolverine system, and weld a longer one on, or put in a spacer.

robo hippy

Not sure if I show it on my sharpening video or not... I took the original grinding wheel washers off of the Baldor. I had a 5/8 thick washer made to space the wheel far enough away from the housing so it didn't rub. I did saw a small slot in the washer to account for the nib that sticks up out of the arbor shaft. Without that, you don't have enough thread on the shaft to be able to tighten it down. I do leave the outside wheel guard off. Magnets do help pull some of the metal dust out of the air. The grinder metal dust can float in the air like the wood dust does. At present, no one makes an affordable dust collection system for our grinders, and that metal dust is not any better for us than the wood dust. The inside wheel guard HAS to stay on, to protect the inside of the motor.

I just do platform sharpening, so using the Oneway Wolverine jig is not a consideration for me, though I may have to rethink that for having play dates with other turners. Only real solution I have seen is to cut the vertical post off of the Wolverine system, and weld a longer one on, or put in a spacer.

robo hippy
Thank you. That is exactly what the information I need.

This is my older Baldor 1007WD with a pair of Ken’s CBN wheels mounted on it. The wheels fit between the cast iron guards, but some adjusting was necessary. I used machined washers to center the wheels. On the right hand side, you may just be able to see a shim between two machined washers. I also used the self-aligning washers that Ken offers. The inside of the cast iron guards needed some touch up with the die grinder (or a Dremel), but nothing that was difficult.

I hope this is heful,

Bruce

Attachments

• A4CB8D5C-73A7-407F-A8A6-4113906AE63D.jpeg
    A4CB8D5C-73A7-407F-A8A6-4113906AE63D.jpeg
    508.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 5AC238F2-0605-47EE-9395-175D3DCA6ADE.jpeg
    5AC238F2-0605-47EE-9395-175D3DCA6ADE.jpeg
    448.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 52AA2CDC-29C4-4DE7-B908-970C2B6F9725.jpeg
    52AA2CDC-29C4-4DE7-B908-970C2B6F9725.jpeg
    479.6 KB · Views: 22