• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bandsaw Blade for green wood

Website
www.davidlauffenburger.com
About a month ago i read a forum post that stated they were using a Lenox metal cutting blade to cut bowl blanks from green logs with excellent results as well as extended blade life. For some reason, probably old timers disease, i can not remember where i saw the post. Has any seen the post i am refering too or actually tried the blade.

Thanks,
Dave

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you do use a Lenox blade, make certain that it is NOT their carbide tipped blade -- it is designed for resawing dry wood only. There is a HSS tipped blade -- I am not sure if Lenox makes it -- I have seen it marketed by Laguna. I think that the best blade for cutting wet wood is an ordinary run-of-the-mill large blade with a wide set and 2 - 3 TPI anad a deep gullet -- I have used a one inch wide Olsen blade for this purpose on my 16" MiniMax.

The first thing that I would expect to happen with a metal cutting blade is that the gullets would clog and then the blade would stop cutting.

Bill

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I like using a standard 3 tpi 1/2 blade hook tooth.

Does a great job on bowl blanks. I usually sharpen themonece and then got to a new blade. At around $20 for a 145" blade I don't feel too bad when I find a Nail.

Happy Turning,
Al

Back