• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bandsaw Blade...

Your current favorite band-saw blade is what?

I ruined a relatively new band-saw blade recently cutting a bit aggressively. I'd prefer a general all-purpose blade but I 80+% of my cutting is in blank shaping. Any and all thoughts on brands, steel type, and tooth pattern would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

I'm new to this band saw, blade that came with it was a 3/4 something. Didn't want to cut dry wood. Went with a 3/8 4 tpi Olson pro? from the shop where I bought the saw....It didn't last 2 pieces and I had it knocked off. Probably all of that was operator error but I put a timber wolf 1/2" 3 tpi AS on, recommendation from Suffolk machinery and to me it's been night and day difference.

I asked about a 3/8 but he said I could cut a 6 inch blank with this 1/2 blade. I doubt I'd cut one that small round because I could turn one that small quicker on the lathe from a square blank.

This is an 18 inch band saw with a 150" blade.

Switched some time ago from Olson to Carter & Sons and I like the change. I use their Green Wood Blade 1/2' x 3TPI. my Jet 14" is a little underpowered, but if I take it easier in thicker wood, we make do.

switched some tme ago

I asked about a 3/8 but he said I could cut a 6 inch blank with this 1/2 blade. I doubt I'd cut one that small round because I could turn one that small quicker on the lathe from a square blank.

This is an 18 inch band saw with a 150" blade.

Hi Sam. If we consider that a bowl blank can effectively be rough sawn on a band saw with multiple straight cuts rather than a continuous radius cut, a 1/2" blade can prep a "round-ish" shape the diameter of a pencil. (That's a good analogy I didn't consider until after I typed it. The 6 sides on a "round" pencil.)

Lay out the circular cut pattern on the log, then instead of following the pattern with a curved cut, make straight(er) cuts alongside the circle, cutting off multiple small pieces. 8 cuts resulting in an octogon shape blank will work well. You'll never bind a blade in a radius kerf that way and can cut a blank smaller than the diameter limit of the blade. And you'll have less blade changes. Then let the lathe do the rest.

Switched some time ago from Olson to Carter & Sons and I like the change. I use their Green Wood Blade 1/2' x 3TPI. my Jet 14" is a little underpowered, but if I take it easier in thicker wood, we make do

I believe you mean Carter Products. Two different and unrelated companies, often confused.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Haven't bought any blades in a long time. Still using my supply of Lennox 1/4"x 6tpi on my very old 3-wheel bandsaw. Kind of an all-purpose blade. I mostly cut dry wood 6" thick or less.

My understanding a good genneral purpose blade is 3tpi 1/2

Yesterday in the Uk Ebay had a listing for six

Starrett Bandsaw Blades M42 Mp Versatix 3810 27mm 0.90 :* 4-6 ITP

I purchaed the six blades with shipping for $15 that is $3 each

Thoughs an opinions please

My understanding a good genneral purpose blade is 3tpi 1/2

Yesterday in the Uk Ebay had a listing for six

Starrett Bandsaw Blades M42 Mp Versatix 3810 27mm 0.90 :* 4-6 ITP

I purchaed the six blades with shipping for $15 that is $3 each

Thoughs an opinions please
6 tpi is too many teeth. I tried a 6 tpi blade and it cut terrible. Also make sure they are the right length.

Your current favorite band-saw blade is what?

I ruined a relatively new band-saw blade recently cutting a bit aggressively. I'd prefer a general all-purpose blade but I 80+% of my cutting is in blank shaping. Any and all thoughts on brands, steel type, and tooth pattern would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Some context on what your cutting is needed. I'll assume your cutting green wood, logs, into bowl blanks, as this is a wood turning forum.
You want a low tooth per inch (tpi), < 3 with a hook tooth. This is needed to clear the sawdust effectively. Thicker the cut, less tpi.
If your bandsaw is small 14" or under, I would go 3/8". Larger bandsaw go 1/2".
I use Lenox blades exclusively now as they have great price/performance. I use the carbon flex back blades and the bi-metal.

If your resawing or doing milling logs, that information isn't as relevant and different blades are required.

I would assume the "27mm" refers to the width of the blade, as there isn't any other dimension that would be close to that. If correct, it's a very, very wide blade, suitable possibly for resawing (though the 6 tpi wouldn't be ideal there) but much too wide for usual woodturner needs. The smallest diameter circle you could cut would be at least 300mm, as a wild guess.

I have Startrite 401S 3hp bandsaw The length of the blade the bandsaw requires is 3810mm {12ft 6 inches) which is identical to length of blade purchased

I was aware before purchasing the blades they were metal cutting blades and the number of teeth 4/6 is greater than the ideal of 3tpi or less

My intension was to use the blade for general milling dry timber up to 3 inches thick and I understand the blade is less than ideal for milling green lumber
Having purchased the blades for $3 each would other members use them to cut timber and for what tasks

I would only do straight cuts the 27 mm is the width of the blade

Last edited:
I use Swedish silicon steel bands supplied by R&D bandsaw mail-order store with also a storefront location that I can't use, (Too far away for me)

The bands I get are for wet wood and .320" thick having a stronger back against twisting.

Best customer service and supplies of saw parts, tires etc, it is the goto for most Canadians that I know of and recommended.

Last edited:
John, I would think you could google it, and 'near me' comes up. I would look for more of a saw shop, rather than the big box stores. I get mine from Oregon Industrial Supply locally, nice to have them close by...

robo hippy

Back