• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

bandsaw tips

any tips for cutting with grain on 9 inch to 12 inch thick log-wood appreciated

after throwing breaker i figured one must put wedges in cut to keep wood from grabbing blade works ok

cutting straight was an adventure

used plenty of push blocks started to pull out steel mesh fish cleaning glove

hats off to ya michael your pictures make it look so simple :eek: :D :eek:

What kind of band are you using? For green wood that thick you need something like the Timberwolf 1/2" or 3/8" 3tpi AS or alternate set band. Makes short work of thick green wood. That or the blade is being pinched and wedges should fix that.

blade

tooth pattern = flex back hook lenox set 3tpi 1/2" x .025-$0.07/inch 105" :cool2:

the wood being cut is 9 to 12 inches thick and 16 to 24 inches wide

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Try wedging the bottom of the wood so it won't tilt at all as you rotate it through the bandsaw. I use a scrap piece of wood on the bottom to put the wedges in place.
Try spraying Pam on your blade. You'll be surprised how this reduces binding in green wood.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
A hook tooth configuration is probably too agressive for green wood especially if you are cutting along the grain. It is meant for cutting dry hardwoods. If you use a tooth shape that is too agressive, the gullet will clog and push the blade back, basically stopping the cut unless you use a lot of feed pressure.

Bill

I agree with Bill that a hook tooth is to aggressive for round green wood. It will do fine on dry wood. I use a 1/2" X 3tpi AS Timberwolf. Cuts like butter.

Well...

I use a hook tooth blade all the time for ripping green wood. Soft, stringy woods will clog the blade gullets if the blade isn't really sharp. Sharpening the blade always cures the problem for me.

The most important thing is to keep the wood stable while you're cutting it. I have an assortment of jigs that I screw to the wood, with wedges as needed, to keep the wood stable and to keep my digits out of danger. Haven't pinched a bandsaw blade in a very, very long time.

With the grain as in piece standing up on endgrain? With the grain as in sawmill-style where the log lies on the long grain?

Since I don't believe there's anything that will help the first be less than a stringy mess, and your mention of kerf-keepers suggests the latter, the answer is control. The mills use dogs and move the carriage rather than the log, which is what we should do in miniature. Such devices are made and commercially available at places like Woodcraft and Rockler. We can do the same with a "carriage" of plywood to hold a miter-groove referenced parallel. From there the plans get a bit more varied from wedges and screws to make our reference pass to moveable fences with clamps or dogs like a regular sawmill.

I own a scrub plane, so laying a branch in a set of v-blocks with a stop at one end (or your vise) allows a reference surface with minimum sweat if I didn't slab one with the chainsaw, which is easiest of all. Having this makes the round much easier to handle.

Second cut is the same as the sawmill, reference down, wedged for straight against a right-angled transport "L" and slab removed to gain the second face at 90 degrees to the first. After that, it's resaw work, but fewer teeth with bigger set is a good idea for any wet wood, and a periodic between-passes hand reverse of the blade through a WD40-soaked rag cleans up resin and acid sap that corrodes and ruins my edge.

Key for making circles is the same degree of control. Why a circle jig is the preferred method, as it keeps things at the proper position. If you're making rounds that you need to be perfect, the opposite face becomes important, so set it on your reference and stop-bore some reference depth holes on the DP to gain parallel.

Big fan of hand clamps. Just squeeze one on each side of the piece so that, as it rotates, the extended bar hits the table and stops the rotation. Instant stabilizers. If too big, screw on a board on one side to get the same effect.

dietrich

band saw tips

did i mention i am a new turner and a even newer band saw user
i have cut and split firewood wood blanks for turning are definetly different

With the grain as in piece standing up on endgrain?

i tried cutting the log sections into smaller pieces but as mikael says cutting with the grain is a mess with a chainsaw just clogs up i think i was in danger of bad clog when i shut off and spent 20 minutes prying stingy mess out of chainsaw
with the band saw is messy but a whole lot better :eek:

This is elaborate but instructive. http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/sl/aw_bandsaw_resaw_main.htm?1009130201181825

Assumes you're talking about cutting with the face grain resting on the saw table.

Most circle jigs are similar to this one.

http://www.cabinetmaking.co.uk/bandcircle.htm

Mark Duginskie has a great book you should consider buying, called, oddly enough The Bandsaw Book

Some circle jigs are simple and stupid-looking but effective. The brass pin is placed in the appropriate hole and then into the chunk of wood.

Attachments

• Jig-Package.jpg
    Jig-Package.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 150

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
baitbegger said:
i tried cutting the log sections into smaller pieces but as mikael says cutting with the grain is a mess with a chainsaw just clogs up i think i was in danger of bad clog when i shut off and spent 20 minutes prying stingy mess out of chainsaw with the band saw is messy but a whole lot better :eek:
It should be the other way around. Maybe you let the shaving pile up under the ejection port and caused to saw to clog or perhaps the chain is dull. Normally, the chainsaw should cut very rapidly through the wood when cutting with the grain. I only tried cutting with the grain on the bandsaw once or twice using a 1" blade with 3 TPI. My saw handled it OK, but the innards were clogged up with a stringy mess and the dust port was hopelessly clogged. Never again on a BS, but the only way to split a log with a chainsaw.

Bill

used books from amazon

i have good experiences buying used books from amazon when i know or have recommendations for a certain book

thanks for the recomendations and tips

:D

new words

coplanar, thrust bearings, wandering cut, barrel cut, cool blocks

i understand why when i hit the start button things did not exactly run smooth, now to learn how to fix it :D

thanks mark duginske :eek:

baitbegger said:
coplanar, thrust bearings, wandering cut, barrel cut, cool blocks

Consider ceramics for guides. They wear like the rock they are, while remaining slicker than the ice after the Zamboni passes. I even use ceramic thrust "bearings" on mine now. Goo-free and I'd have resurfaced my cool blocks a half dozen times and replaced them once in the couple years since the ceramics.

Website
www.almather.com
When splitting a log with the chain saw try to angle your blade up or down slighty respective the grain, and you will still get a nice quick cut, if your chain is sharp, but it doesn't seem to clog the saw (as much).

Al

Back