• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Barrel Trimmer Pulling Out Tubes

Hello,

I'm in the process of making my first pen. I thought I had read and watched enough to give it a go but I am doing something wrong. My current issue is when I barrel trim the ends of the pen blanks, as I am pulling out the barrel trimmer my tubes are partially coming out with it. The barrel trimmer is not a really tight fit so I do not understand why this is happening.

My steps:
- cut pen blanks. These are walnut - roughly 3/4 by 3/4 and about a quarter inch longer than the tubes
- with a good quality 7mm bit I purchased, I drilled the holes on my lathe. The holes look good. The tubes fit in easily, but without much play. Looks similar to videos I have watched.
- I roughed the tubes with sandpaper and get some good surface scratching for the glue to adhere to. I used 80 grit.
- Using medium CA I bought at woodcraft, I put a generous amount on 2/3 of the tube, inserted it in and out and roll it around for about 5 seconds. I added a bit more and do the same to the other side. I inserted the tube, make sure it is in past the surface and let it cure overnight.
- The next morning I put a blank in a vice, verified I have the correct bit for my barrel trimmer ,verified I could easily push the bit in and out of my tube. Then I drilled. I needed to get rid of about 1/8th of wood, maybe a bit more. This took a few minutes. When i pulled out the bit, the tube came partway out with it, and I need help understanding why. This happened on 3 blanks. Any thoughts/advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks - Scott

I prepared mine the same as you, but I always used thick CA. However I quit using CA and started using 5 minute epoxy. I would get an occasional failure with the CA, but almost never with the epoxy. It also gives ample time to position the tube before setting up. I had also used gorilla glue, but the foam was always a mess.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The glue is failing.
You can probably get away with re-gluing with the medium CA
That will get you back to turning with these.

Like @William Rogers said switch to a quick setting epoxy.
or gorilla glue it’s messy and takes longer to set but the barrel trimmer will clean up the ends.

The barrel was probably heating up from friction with the trimmer and making the CA release. A little wax on the trimmer shaft will help that, as well as the use of better glue.
I was thinking the barrel was likely heating. What kind of wax do you recommend?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you were using the barrel trimmer in a drill press or power drill then that is probably the cause of the problem. I have a wooden handle on my barrel trimmer and I do the trimming by hand. Also, I think that the CA bond will be stronger if it isn't "worked" as much ... just push the tube in while giving it a slight twist and then leave it alone. to let it cure.

Thank you all for your replies. I glued up some blanks using 5 minute epoxy this morning. I have some wax for the barrel trimmer bit, and will use the bit at a much slower speed this weekend and see how things go.

Well, I bought 5 minute epoxy, glued up and had the same thing happen. The tube pulled out while barrel trimming. It was then I noticed fairly dramatic run-out. The 7 mm shaft is not dead straight - I should have noticed that before. So I used carpet tape and sandpaper on a piece of wood and used my lathe to sand down the ends of the blanks. That worked fine. That allowed me to make my first pen. Now I can work on more pens, getting better technique and try some different finishing. Not having an active local group because of COVID-19 is a challenge. The video people have taken time to create and forums like this are a big help.

Attachments

• first-pen-resized.jpg
    first-pen-resized.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 13
Following up in case it is helpful to someone else viewing the thread. I found the sanding technique too slow since such a small area of the sandpaper was being hit. While in the process or returning the first barrel trimmer, I bought one from PSI. Night and day difference. Very minimal runout, barrel trimmer much sharper out of the box. This was important because I have no way to sharpen it until my diamond sharpening card (backordered) arrives. So the summary is that my problems were largely created by a poor quality barrel trimming set and resolved with a higher quality set.

Back