• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Beall Spindle Tap 1-1/4 8 tpi

cheaper here!
Thanks Dennis, Ordered!
Packard had them listed as out of stock on Saturday as did everywhere else I looked.
I took a class this weekend with Ellsworth and he uses them to make jam and vacuum chucks with shelf liner seals (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Duck-Solid-Grip-20-in-x-12-ft-Gray-Shelf-Liner/1003086522)
Beall has gone out of business, but Lee Valley has picked up a number of their products.

cheaper here!
Thanks again Dennis.
It arrived from Packard today. Holding it it in my hands it is more obvious that the spindle tap is quite different from a metal tap. It’s made to clear wood.

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 24
Thanks again Dennis.
It arrived from Packard today. Holding it it in my hands it is more obvious that the spindle tap is quite different from a metal tap. It’s made to clear wood.

How are you liking your tap? Does packard sell the needed drill too? I think I might have to go this route with some vacuum chucks instead of what I had planned with a faceplate.

I just received the Beale 1-1/4x8 Tap and am disappointed to see it’s made in China. Though it looks ok I don’t know the quality of the steel.

I just received the Beale 1-1/4x8 Tap and am disappointed to see it’s made in China. Though it looks ok I don’t know the quality of the steel.
That's what I was afraid of. I wonder if the other place mentioned is nos? Maybe because the price is certainly higher than everybody else.

The other one appears to be a standard metal tap. I didn't look for its country of origin.
I was meaning the one posted about Timberly Woodturning. They are calling it a beall product still. $77.50

LOL Never mind, I went and actually looked at the location. They are in New Zealand. I'm betting shipping would be a big issue! Probably is a beall though.

Last edited:
I bought a re-sharpened standard metal working tap from ebay about 5 years ago. It seems to work just as well as the Beale one. I've used it on wood and have also used it on aluminum along with plastic to make face plates.

BTW, I've made several vacuum chucks and jam chucks the same as Ellsworth details using the vinyl shelf paper from Lowes. A couple have been tortured by students in craft school turning classes and they are still working!

I was meaning the one posted about Timberly Woodturning. They are calling it a beall product still. $77.50

LOL Never mind, I went and actually looked at the location. They are in New Zealand. I'm betting shipping would be a big issue! Probably is a beall though.

For S&G I emailed the guy in new zealand and he responded back. The shipping he guessed at $38 new zealand dollars and they were waiting for Lee Valley to take over the business so they could get more stock.

For what it's worth, Packard responded with - Beall has always been sourced from china and the company has been purchased by another but no word where they are sourcing from.

Back