• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bench design for a large Midi

As always, please help me understand how I might be going off the rails here. I'm new, and I'm probably going to be as wrong about these things as I ever will be.

I have a Harvey T40 on the way and not much of a place to put it yet. I did not order the legs, because on the day that I ordered, there were two discounts, and one was not optional. This was a much smaller amount than the lathe+leg package, unfortunately. Since I also wanted a bed extension, and it also had the smaller (but still appreciated) discount, I ordered that instead. I figured I could just build a bench, but building a bed extension is beyond my capabilities and tooling.

I think -- just a hunch -- that it would be ergonomically incorrect and downright dangerous to use it on the floor, so I need to build a bench. Vibration suppression is the leading requirement, trumping storage altogether bt not access to the machine, but there's no reason I cannot design in some storage. The eventual shop layout is also a factor, but can be ignored for now and I can design in enough flexibility that it can be deferred.

First, the top:
I think the bench top, at least, is going to be a concrete slab. Maybe I'll have some difficulty making it perfectly flat, but I am toying with the idea of picking up a piece of 1/4" or thicker plate steel at a scrap yard and using that for the surface. To do this, I will place it flat using shims or whatever necessary, then either frame it on the sides with wood or hopefully convince my welder to weld a band of plate either around the edge or just inset underneath so the top has a short edge, flip it over onto its top, and pour the slab into the box so that there is full contact between the steel and the concrete. This may still separate (cleave), so I will have to figure out some fastening strategy to bond the two disparate materials together. Even with studs and anchors welded to the underside of the plate, the two surfaces will probably still cleave. So I have to research some sort of bonding material, perhaps, or just create enough rough surface that there is full and permanent contact between the concrete bed and the steel top. If anyone has ideas or materials experience here, I'd like to hear it.

Support:
This is a good place to note that I have a concrete floor in my shop, so aside from portability considerations, I welcome all the extra weight I can get. I am forsaking a daily-use level of portability of the actual bench, however. That is, no wheels. I may need to move it someday, and maybe again some other day, so I will not anchor it to the floor permanently and it will still need to be (re)movable without requiring a jackhammer. Regardless of what I do, I am strongly considering boring a few holes into the concrete slab and installing some heavy tie-downs, cemented in.

The legs of the bench "don't matter". That is, they can be some short lengths of I-beam, or simply just 4 legs of 6x6 lumber. If only there were some kind of machine I could use to make large, precise table legs... Using wood will provide me a lot of flexibility to attach shelves and so forth and the massive top means I don't need to waste as much space sandbagging the stand.

I've also seen where people build concrete legs. It would be trivial to get some 8" cardboard concrete forms and pour some legs. Is there some sort of machine I could use to make sure the ends of the forms are cut square? LOL. Concrete legs would provide a lot of mass. I saw one person stack cinder blocks into short walls and fill the cavities with concrete, but I'd just use a form and rebar, pouring it in a few layers to keep shrinkage in check. More research is needed there, but it may be that if the reinforcement is shaped properly and attached to the steel shell, there will be enough of a mechanical bond with the concrete that special consideration is not necessary.

In any case, I need to choose the leg or frame material before I design the top, since solid fastening of the two structural components is critical. It may serve well to have the bench-top height adjustment built into the top/edge band instead of using leveling feet which will have a tendency to concentrate the load of the entire mass onto what I would consider too small an area and might want to crack my floor slab. This leads me more towards having a panel under the ends where the load is at least spread out along two bands having considerably more contact area with the floor, rather than four points applying hundreds of pounds per square inch to my floor.

I've toyed with the idea of being able to pivot the lathe, even going so far as making a large round concrete pedestal and the top makes a sort of T shape so the entire bench-top could swivel. Not sure just yet why I think this would be useful.

Now here's where the insane genius-or-moron idea starts, or did I pass that milestone already? Since my lathe has a pivoting head stock, and since, in theory I will have a big, flat, sturdy slab upon which to sit, I am considering getting another T40 bed -- or any bed, perhaps -- and placing it a few inches out in front of the T40 bed, parallel-ish to the lathe bed, offset mostly to the left of the rotated HS. The effect being that I could rotate the head stock 90 degrees, and there would be a full bed in front of the headstock for the banjo. It may be that the extension bed would suffice for this task, but it doesn't have a flat surface underneath the way a primary bed does.

I was already thinking about this when I chose the extension bed instead of the legs; everything is part of a larger system. This configuration would require a rock-solid bench top, and the ability to move the lathe back to the front edge when the parallel bed is not there. It would be better if the lathe itself were always bolted to the front edge of the bench and the outboard bed could be mounted to the front of the bench and removed when not in use. This might work so well that I never rotate the HS back to 0, but I doubt that will be the case. So that's another thing to consider when designing the bench top. I'd rather have it bolt to the bench top than the legs. It would be even more special if the second bed folded away somehow, but that generally detracts from strength. If nothing else, I should at the very least weld some threaded inserts (not threaded posts sticking out) into the back of the bench rim (another vote for having a steel rim welded around or just underneath the top). That's a lot more flexible and I could attach all manner of things to the front edge of the bench.

I always, always, always over-build. For example, I may use scrap steel in the concrete as aggregate instead of stone, since it has a higher density. Like, that kind of over-build. The scrap-yard has giant bins of steel nuts and bolts that would work well enough. Not sure it's worth all that, though, and taking that step might be where I do finally leave the proverbial rails.

Hi Gerald,
Sounds like you are really wanting to make a sturdy bench. I made one recently and it was a basic mortise & tenon frame and I plan to add some drawers for storage soon. I added wheels to make it mobile, but you can drop it down on the feet so it doesn't move when turning bowls. I made the top from 3 layers of particle board glued together, wrapped in solid walnut and topped with laminate. Since the particle board is very heavy it makes this solution affordable but very well suited for the job, as my top was over 65 pounds. I bolted the lathe to the top by going straight through from the bottom of the particle board, and I sandwiched large rubber feet between the lathe and the top. It came out very well, looks awesome, and there is zero wobble or movement of any kind when turning. Plus, once I get the drawers done and add all sorts of weight into them it will make the bench even sturdier. Hopefully this gives you some ideas on a different approach from what you had in mind initially, and its something that actually works and isn't just speculation. Cheers!20220108_211422.jpg20220101_233940.jpg20220108_211444.jpg

Well, as a former concrete finisher and set up guy, best reinforcement for the concrete is rebar. Not sure exactly what they do to it, but it is intended for concrete, and nuts and bolts are not. For the size of lathe you have, I would stick with standard aggregate mix. The chicken wire type stuff does work, but the stuff on rolls is a pain to flatten out. You could build a whole concrete table if you wanted, legs and all, or a solid block, but it would not be very portable if you could move it at all. You can buy 1 1/2 inch thick butcher block/restaurant grade table tops and make a sturdy wood frame for the bottom. They usually come in 8 foot lengths, which could be a good mounting place for your grinder as well. John's table above is plenty stable, and with the size of the timbers in it, it would work fine. You would want leveling feet on it if you are not going with mobility. You can put a lot of wood stash, on shelves under the bench top to add mass for dampening vibrations. It could also be bolted or screwed to the wall behind it. Getting a concrete table top surface dead flat is very difficult, and not for people other than experienced concrete finishers, and even I, as persnickety as I am, would not guarantee a dead flat surface. The wood is easier to get that with, though you could use shims. You would want bolts to anchor the lathe to the top. Again, easier to do with wood than with concrete.

robo hippy

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I think you're overthinking this ... but, I have the feeling you enjoy that process. :)
I don't know your shop situation except that you have a concrete floor. My shop is in the basement and my first lathe was a bench top model. I simply used a lean to type structure against my cinderblock wall. Two 4x4 uprights (legs) and two 2x6 horizontals mortised and lag bolted to the legs and a stretcher across the front & back (sized for your lathe).
A few wooden braces or gussets for rigidity and some steel angle braces to attach to the frame and the wall and the floor. My foundation and floor eliminates a lot of vibration!!! Bolt your lathe to the front over the legs. You can add shelves if you so desire to add weight and/or storage. I left it open for easier sweeping.

As always, please help me understand how I might be going off the rails here.

Now here's where the insane genius-or-moron idea starts, or did I pass that milestone already?
Gerald, your enthusiasm is spectacular. Good for you. I have 3 comments for you.

1. Maybe you should slow down on re-inventing the wheel until you have actually turned something. Everyone on the forum could tell you multiple stories about how they bought something or made something or set up their shop in a certain way, and 6 months later realized it wasn't the right solution and changed it. As a new turner, you have yet to discover your idiosyncrasies and preferences, and so are even more likely to change your mind in the near future, once you have some experience.

2. Nova/Teknatools had a set of DIY plans for one of their lathes about the size of yours. It looks like it may have been drawn by Ernie Conover, a pretty good woodworker and designer. One of the key parts is the angles of the legs. Apparently a broader base is just as important in stability as a lot of mass. see attachment.

3. I mean this in the kindest possible way--have you had your lithium level checked lately?

Attachments

• NOVA-BASE.pdf
    41.9 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for the replies everyone. I admitted I was over-thinking it, and sometimes (often enough to be rewarding), the month-long OCD over something like this results in some truly elegant solutions. I tend to start out with an elephant, trim it down to a rhinoceros, and with the help of kind people asking about my goals, my capacity to create an elephant or rhino in the first place, reminders that there is such a thing as "good enough", and occasionally questioning my mental health (you're fine, Dean, and I'm not on lithium but you aren't the first to have noticed the aroma of mania), I eventually end up somewhere between a Great Dane and a chihuahua. The ulterior motive is a [possibly] interesting discussion that usually helps me and may help others too. I had a feeling people would say "just make one out of wood like the thousands of people before you have", "you are reinventing the wheel (and yours is square)", and so forth.

I have a habit-of-thinking about vibration that I earned honestly with an amateur astronomy/astro-photography hobby when I was a youth. Vibration is amplified by the optics, and every tiny twitch of the image is picked up and blurs the photo during the ultra-long exposures of up to an hour, but generally 20 to 30 minutes with fast-but-grainy ISO 400 to 1000 35 mm film. Controlling vibration is a required obsession in that hobby. Deep pockets help a lot too. I eventually sold all that stuff in my 20's to get some home-brewing equipment. That hobby requires a different sort of stand, with lower demands for precision but high demand on material selection. Most home brewers use propane because it is a proven circular wheel, so wooden stands are easy to build but not the best solution. (I just realized: all my hobbies seem to require stands.) So they either use expensive manufactured stands they end up customizing anyway, or go with concoctions built with primitive tools and a lot of up-front OCD. Concrete is extremely good at vibration suppression. Steel rings and resonates, wood bounces.

It appears that a sturdy butcher block top on some laminated maple legs is going to be adequate, perhaps even pleasant, and probably the fastest to implement. Steel is cold and unkind to chisels and is hard to re-work if the initial design didn't think of everything up front. Steel work is difficult enough, but I am woefully bereft of any other woodworking machinery. I have a decent arsenal of manual and powered hand tools, a barely-adequate 10" mitre saw, a dying table saw that needs an end-of-life decision, and that's about it. I have a friend with a small cabinet shop that has a planer, a big-boy table saw, and a few other tools, but enough to be able to cut all the parts I would need. I also plan to buy a band saw and drill press, but that will max out my shop space and I will not buy them soon. The space limitation that I have in my shop rules out pretty much everything except a small turning shop or perhaps a traditional hand tool shop. I respect those guys mightily, but I don't have the back for hand-planing at that level. These are factors in my approach to the bench and the overall shop. Need to get on with my shop plan too. And yes, I am a little manic, I "worry" as some people describe it, and I am habitually persnickety with occasionally unrealistic (but never unwise) expensive tastes.

So even though I can go buy a 1.5" butcher block and build v1 in a weekend or two, I think a 4" thick hard maple top on 4 to 6 inch square legs would be better. Because it would be better. I worked in a shop that had a monster bench like that, I want to say it was about 5' x 10', perhaps a bit larger and easily 4" thick. Eight guys could work comfortably around that thing if they were not working on long pieces. It was epic. Once you experience that, those big-box store butcher blocks made of 3,000 little chunks of ???wood just seem lacking. But in reality, there is a good chance that v1 will indeed be one of those very same purchased 1.5" ???wood tops because yes they are good enough, for Pete's sake, maybe with a set of over-built legs out of cheesy but adequate 6x6 treated lumber from the next aisle over, heavy screws and/or pegs and half-lap instead of the preferred mortises, and other such unclassy but effective shortcuts. Maybe the PT wood will not make the cut, since it compresses and shrinks, but it is readily available. Oak logs show up on the roadside all the time, however. I'll have at least one stretcher on the bottom that I can bust my shins on, and a boring shelf of sandbags. I don't like the sandbags and I cannot explain why, exactly. It's irrational, I know. Perhaps I will bolt it to the floor instead of using sandbags, perhaps not, now that I think about it.

I am coming to the realization that perhaps a 14" lathe+bench doesn't actually need to weigh sixteen tons. There's only so much mass I can put on the lathe. Maybe it is more about proportion instead of absolute mass. Something like 300 pounds or whatever is quite enough weight for a 14" lathe, but would be insufficient for an 18" lathe. Also, counterintuitively, it might be preferable for the lathe to walk around the room with an unsafe piece on it instead of being bolted or weighed down and simply tossing said oversized/unbalanced piece into the unwise user's face. The lathe strolling around the room should be a warning that yer doin' it rong. You should never get that far, of course, but it speaks to overkill and sometimes overkill is detrimental.

Last edited:

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I don't like the sandbags and I cannot explain why, exactly. It's irrational, I know.
I have a box (2x6 sides and 3/4" plywood) between my lathe legs, filled with a couple hundred lbs of sand. So no visible sandbags. Simple box, caulked the seams to keep the sand in. Top is just screwed on so I can empty the box if needed someday.

Bench Design
> prevent “racking” pperpendicular to, and since you have a pivot hs, parallel to the lathe bed. This is best accomplished by tying structural members together to form a torsion box. A sheet of plywood screwed and glued to the outfacing face of each leg, and across the back, will accomplish it very well

> Weight - probably need a combined weight of lathe and bench of 600 lbs min. The closer the ballast is to the spindle CL the better. The stiffer the bench structure is, the less important this is. Bolting the lathe to the bench, and the bench to the floor removes the need for weight, but not not structural stiffness. Use 4 steel brackets on the outside of the legs and 4 bolts into the floor. Easy to remove bolts if the lathe needs to move. Important for larger unbalanced green blanks. Weight could be located behind the lathe, on the top, screwed/bolted to the top. Long as it does not rise above the lathe bed. Forces would transfer through the top and not as much through the bench structure.

>Allow for use of the outrigger. Dont think you got it but you probably will, so allow for it in the design.

> Foot Position - this will be difficult since you are a new turner, but the bench needs to allow for proper foot placement, when inline and when using outboard turning. Look at lathes with legs, and the footprint of the legs vs the footprint of the lathe bed. You will want to be able to get a hip against the side of the lathe bed (or close to it), with your foot under you for support.

> Lathe/Bench height - the rule of thumb is spindle ht = to elbow pivot standing straight. Its a pretty accurate rule, some may like it 1-2” up or down. You dont know that until you turn for a while, and its dependent on what you turn. Best if bench design allows for some height adjustment, as well as leveling.

Thanks, Doug. I do some tile work, and often [pedantically] remind people that there is a difference between level and flat and that oftentimes flat is all that is really needed. Are you referring to simply being able to get the bench top flat on an uneven floor, i.e. not twisted and racking the lathe bed? Aside from your pencil not rolling away all the time, of course, is there some advantage to fussing over the bench top being actually level? I just use carpentry pencils for the rolling pencil issue.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Aside from your pencil not rolling away all the time, of course, is there some advantage to fussing over the bench top being actually level? I just use carpentry pencils for the rolling pencil issue.
Level (or pretty close to it) would be best, especially as you may often use your body and/or lathe bed to reference pivots, squareness, etc visually, as well as your body and stance probably pretty much already "level" you as you address the lathe, so if you can keep lathe level too, your cuts tend to be straighter and smoother. So I think if you have the choice and ability, I'd recommend getting as close to level (both ways) as you possibly can , to begin with - but I don't think you need machinist's precision insofar as level goes (Though the flatter the top, the better - but if you find you're out of flat a bit you can always shim the lathe on one corner or the other..)

Thanks, Brian. I also have a decent four-foot level that I use for said tile work to get the bench top in-plane and level. Really just makes a difference of only a few minutes to go from merely flat to also level, just wondering if there were any non-obvious reasons to do it, but addressing the tool, while obvious after you mention it, did not immediately come to mind. It is so second-nature it went right by me. 1 or two mm off over 1m will not be noticeable, but 2-3cm would be, and you are correct that an error like that would indeed cause some strife with the biological levels I carry around in my ears.

1 or two mm off over 1m will not be noticeable, but 2-3cm would be, and you are correct that an error like that would indeed cause some strife
In terms of level, you got it, although I think Robust makes a lathe for seated turning where the lathe bed rolls toward the turner, so flat is much more important vs level

Are you referring to simply being able to get the bench top flat on an uneven floor, i.e. not twisted and racking the lathe bed?
No, Im talking about the forces generated by an unbalanced load whipping around the cl of the spindle, like a severely out of balance tire, but with a lathe its much worse.

The stiffer all of the various components of the lathe and bench are, the more they act as one mass against the centrifugal forces of the spinning work. A lot of weight at floor level of a spindly legged bench won’t do much good in keeping the lathe from moving around.

So, maybe I was onto something with the concretevand steel bench top? Admittedly, I didn't figure on proximity of the ballast to the spindle, but it makes sense. More accurately, I would guess, it is the amount of vibration of the materials between all of the masses in the system. Resonance on the other side is not to be discounted either, and the top should also not jut out too far, like a diving board. Torque, radial forces, leverage, got it.

Even if I bolted the stand it to the floor, if I make the legs out of hay bales, the lathe is going to move a little. If those same legs are only one micron thick (assuming they cannot shear off, one force at a time, please), then it cannot move very far.

So I will factor this into the design and put the ballast tanks -- four or five 5-gallon buckets of sand or something denser is my current plan -- right under the top, in a line as close to centered under the spindle as possible, compromising the placement only for user access in front of and at the ends of the lathe The ballast box will be sized so that the buckets can sit on a layer of sand and be filled in around the buckets. All the buckets do is make it easier to empty the box if I need to.

Thanks again, this community is one of the good ones.

I would want my lathe on a dead flat and level surface. The problem with garage slabs is that they are sloped so if you bring in a wet car, the water runs down hill. If you put a lathe on it, it will want to walk down hill. Even if you use the leveling feet to make the bed level, it will still want to walk down hill. You can anchor the feet to the wall rather than to the floor. My old 3520A was on 4 by 4s and they were cleated to the wall. I do mark out where the feet are on the floor because even moving the lathe a little bit can change the level settings, and you don't want a twisted bed.

robo hippy

My $.02: I just looked and the legs for the T-40 seem to list for $300. Is that right? What are you expecting to spend on your concrete and steel stand? Dollars and time? I think if it were me, I’d bite the bullet and go with the proper legs. They will give you all kinds of options for mobility, storage, and also, if you ever want to upgrade, resale value. I love homemade solutions as much, and often more than the next guy, but here I think I’d like to get turning and explore my relationship to the lathe immediately. As I said, just my $.02.

Lou, I agree and I would have, but there is a story behind that.

I would have sprung for the legs at the time I bought the lathe, since they sell them for half price in a bundle. However, the Harvey website and pricing is a weird bird. The price fluctuated literally daily (I literally mean literally, literally) at that time, between $1999 and $2499. It still bounces around. On the day I purchased it, it was at $1999, so I jumped on it. The prolem was that it was also Valentines Day, and the website had an automatic discount code that superseded the "T40WithLeg" coupon code that is used to get the $150 discount on the legs.

Basically, I had to gamble. I could forgo the $150 leg discount to get the lathe price in the low end of the range ($450 better than the high end), and instead get a bed extension instead which had a small discount for Vallentine's, OR, I could wait until the next day when it could shoot back up to $2,500, which it did. I felt really smart on the 15th. Did I trigger a low inventory price hike with my purchase? Dunno. Probably not. But maybe. My son suggests it is cookies on my machine, since I talked about it for a while, browsed their site (watching the price, ironically), and recommended I shop in a Private session to prevent such chicanery. Maybe that chicanery saved me $500, though. Or maybe, since Harvey is in China, is driven by currency exchange rates, global political turmoil (heavy machinery is energy-intensive and energy trades in futures). Maybe it is all or none of these.

Since the purchase on that Monday, the price dipped back to $1949 once, for one day I think, shot back up to $2399 or $2499 for a several days, dipped again to $1999 for a day or two, and then stabilized at $2399. I might be off a bit on the fluctuation and I got bored after a while and don't check it every day anymore, but you get the idea of how volatile it was. $2399 is the going price now.

It was like day-trading, for which I am not well-suited. Not fun on a limited budget, but I think I came out OK. If I had a crystal ball, I could have held out for the best one-day price of $1949 later that week and gotten the legs half off. That was the true "bottom", so to speak, but I bought near the bottom nevertheless, I just paid a hefty commission for it. Better than average. I've considered calling them and explaining the issue, maybe see if they would honor the coupon, but time has passed, and that sort of retroactive begging is kind of cheesy after some time has passed. I should have called the next day, but the price was back up and that was a tough sell.

I also figured that I can build "legs" far more easily than I could build my own bed extension. And the bed extension was part of another plan for outboard turning that may still see the light of day.

So, <shrug>. With my startup capital nearly depleted at this point, I would have to choose between buying the legs or a decent 4-jaw chuck. I can get some oak or maple somewhere and build a stand or very simple bench to get started. With everyone's help, I came down off the ledge and I've abandoned the steel and concrete idea. If nothing else, the materials would be really difficult to drill for the bed to attach to, or later on when I wanted to modify it. A simple, spare box made of hard hardwood and ballast should work fine for a while, and I will not be turning a 13" diameter, 38" long log, um, ever. If I cannot get the hardwood cheaply (I live in central NC, there are plenty of these trees being cut down every day), I might pinch my nose and just buy a couple of 6x6 pressure-treated lumbers at the Big Box and build a big, heavy, extremely gusseted sawhorse-style stand much like the one in the PDF earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
I understand the frustration of seeing better deals go by and not being able to grab them. The marketplace, thanks to online sellers, I think, has become a zoo. Pretty disheartening. But for me, the bottom line on big ticket purchases, is often, “will it give me pleasure regardless of the price?” (within reason). We bought a new RAV4 hybrid in August. It was a decision over a year in the making, and while we knew it was not the ideal time to buy a new car, we were ready for it. We are as in love with it as you can reasonably be with a car, and while I’ll be making payments for another three and a half years, the price has receded from memory to the point that it almost never occurs to me. I realize this logic doesn’t work if you are really on a marginal budget, but in some cases I think you just resign yourself (at least I do) to letting go of a few dollars in exchange for satisfaction. I’ve debated between $120 and $140 gouges, but a year later I’d be hard pressed to tell you what the final one cost. I do remember if I made the cheaper decision and spent all that time being unhappy with it.
Again, if building your own solution is of major importance, all the above goes out the window.

We’ve all heard the lines “buy once cry once” and “you get what you pay for”, referring to spending more $’s for a better tool or whatever brings better piece of mind over time. Doesn’t work for me. When I spend too much on a tool (or vehicle etc), I cry every damn time I see it or think about it - just as well lit the extra $’s on fire. I keep a tools list of all the shop tools I buy (not just turning related), goes back ~15 years. I rate each tool after I have had a chance to use it and evaluate its value. So Gerald, I fully understand why you did things the way you did. We don’t all think alike.

Back