• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

best 50$ gift for a new wood turner

help.. need to get a gift for a fairly new turner.. who does not have much..

what can someone get them for 50$..

any and all advice appreciated..

I'll give the obvious answer

Ask them what they need. There are a lot of tools and accessories in the $50 price range but without knowing what they already have/need and what types of things they like to make it is impossible to give suggestions.

Give them a copy of the Craft Supply catalog. It's free. (I think)

Mike

I'm big on safety equipment. A nice facemask (not goggles) and a cartridge respirator (like they wear when doing drywall or spraying chemicals) would total out to right about $40.

Wood is also nice cause you know they won't already have it. Ebay has some great stuff and $50 would buy 5-10 nice blanks.

Good luck,
Dietrich

Safety First

If your friend/family member does not have either a faceshield or respirator then those items had ought to your first choices. The next item I'd consider is a shop smock w/either short sleeves or sleeves that are tight-fitting at the wrist. One doesn't want to get "wrapped up" in one's work.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Wood is a great choice. A gift certificate to Woodcraft, Craft Supplies or Packard woodworks is hard t beat. However the last $50 dollar gift certificate I got cost me $150 dollars by the time I left the store.

Back