• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Block plane on lathe.

That is a very old method and of course as John said it works best on spindle turning straight areas and works great removing high spots by bridging over the low spots.

Any one else use this technique on spindles etc on the lathe?

Since I'm more a spindle turner than bowl, I use that technique fairly often. Its easier to make a straight segment on a spindle with the block plane, than with a skew, since the body of the plane helps a lot with that. I turn the lathe speed way down, and set the blade very shallow, after turning it close to finished size.

Well, I don't turn many spindles. If I was to use a small block plane, I would use it at a skewed angle rather than straight on like shown in the video. If nothing else, you wouldn't have the dig in marks from the edges of the plane blade. Even with my limited skew skills, I get a better surface with it than with the block plane. Some times I get a better surface with a peeling cut than I do with the standard skewed bevel rubbing cut. Yes, I do need more practice.

robo hippy

I would use it at a skewed angle rather than straight on like shown in the video. If nothing else, you wouldn't have the dig in marks from the edges of the plane blade
Is that the Fine Woodworking video referred to at the beginning of this thread?
When ever I click on it, it comes up and then goes blank so I am assuming that a fee is involved, which I didn't choose to pursue, so if they are not presenting the plane at a skew angle then Fine Woodworking has gone down to the subbasement of quality content.

It's a Mario Rodriguez video through FWW. I agree the technique has limited usefulness and maybe none for bowl turners, but it was an interesting video and I wouldn't question the viability of a technique presented by Mario Rodriguez; only how useful it is for what I do. It may or may not be accessible free on FWW's website. I subscribe and got access through an email previewing an issue of FWW, so it might not be available to non-subscribers.

Back