• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl coring/saving systems

I'm kind of up in the air about what direction I want to go in but I've got some big pieces of wood that I'm waiting to core and I'm feeling ancy!

The Mcnaughton gear looks like it's kind of up my alley as I don't mind learning the ins and out and it seems to be pretty versatile. Everything you need in a small package. But the Oneway system seems super solid and a bit easier, just a much bigger financial commitment with less versatility than the mcnaughton. The woodcut system looks nice and simple too but I haven't done as much research there...

Would love to know more about what people with experience doing this use and why some systems may be "better" than others.

There’s a bunch of forum conversations on this topic. For what its worth, I started using the Macnaughton system about 15 years ago or a little more. I had the benefit of watching demos by Mahoney on at least two occasions and read up on best practices with it online and in the journal. I have to say, if you take the time to get some wood you don’t mind ruining, and a nice weekend to sacrifice, you can easily become comfortably proficient enough to take on some better pieces. We’re talking coring out two or three cores from a blank, not 8 or 10 nested bowls like Mike M can pull off. There may be mentors in your club that will walk you through it. I made a couple of funnels early on, but have had no problems since I discovered that the key is to determine the initial angle of entry. There’s a process for doing it. I haven’t been tempted to invest in the Oneway or Woodcut systems - you can find Macnaughton systems pretty inexpensively from people who won’t do the homework, and they last a very long time.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have the McNaughton. If I don’t count Mike Mahoney. The person I know who was best at using the McNaughton switched to the ONEWAY. She said she switched because it was so much easier to use and it did everything she wanted it to do.

if you get into coring big time you can add a Hunter korpro cutter. Everyone loves this pricey add on.
pays for itself…

Last edited:
I had the McNaughton and, even as an experienced turner, was scared to death of that thing. I sold it and got the Oneway. I really like the Oneway. It’s less versatile, for sure, but so much easier and safer feeling, IMO.

I started out with the Oneway and found it easy to use. It has done all I want. I did get the korpro cutter recently and love it.

I had and used all 3 coring systems. Long story short I kept the Oneway and sold the other 2. Not only is it easier to use but it is a lot more versatile than it's given credit for. Then add the Hunter Korpro which make the Oneway a delight to use. I use the Oneway with Korpro on my 3520b, Nova DVR300 and on my Jet 1642 1 1/2 HP with no problem. One might look at the cost of the Korpro and have doubts but it is truly remarkable and just makes coring so much easier.

I thought from research in this forum the OneWay system is what I wanted. I bought a used Woodcut 2 blade unit. It works good and is a good fit for my 15" swing 1 1/2 hp lathe. I think the OneWay would be more versatile and if you don't want to spend lots of money up front you can buy the base and one knife to get started then add knives and the Korpro later as needed. If I were buying a new one it would be the OneWay. I know it definitely saves making a lot of mulch.

I'm running the Woodcut 2 blade. It's OK but that's as far as I'll go. The Woodcut system is easy enough to use and I can core a bowl. I don't need to do this often enough to justify the expense of another system. Setup options are somewhat limited. Paper gauges glued to plywood for setup really says it all...more intuition than repeatable by the numbers type of rig.

Last edited:
I meant to mention in my other post that I use the Oneway on a 1.5 hp Nova lathe without trouble. Setup is easy too. I made spacer blocks for each knife to give me a starting point at the top of my chuck jaws.

Charlie,
Asking the question here is a good start. However asking yourself a few questions may get you further down the road to the best system for you.

Am I going to core a lot? (this will help you justify the cost of any of the systems)
What are the size of blanks I intend to core? (will help you determine the stability you will feel comfortable with, especially if your going to core 16" and larger blanks)
Am I going to core odd shapes or just round bottom bowls? (Will help you with the versatility you require)
Am I willing to invest the time for the learning curve? (McNaughton has a little more curve than the other two)
What type of wood am I going to core? (some really hard woods with certain grain structure, like locust, can be really tough on larger blanks)
Do I just want a new tool and challenge or am I really out to maximize my yield? (either may be a good enough reason however your money made be better spent somewhere else)
Am I going to try and core a seven piece nested set? (definitely a McNaughton job)
Do I have the lathe capability to handle a system? (You can core on smaller size lathes however it requires a bit more learning curve, for all the systems, due to motor power)
Am I a casual corer or am I intending to production core? (For me when I production cored the McNaughton was fastest for me because I cored a huge variety of blank sizes and species - Glenn Lucas finds the oneway fastest but he cores the exact same size blanks over and over)

These are a few questions to ask yourself and I hope others add questions they had to ask themselves. All of the systems work but they may not all work for the answers you provide for yourself. As with all equipment we tend to promote what we have rather than help you with questions, you should answer, to help guide you to the best tool for you. I hope this helps you on your journey, coring is fun and rewarding.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Charlie,
Asking the question here is a good start. However asking yourself a few questions may get you further down the road to the best system for you.

Am I going to core a lot? (this will help you justify the cost of any of the systems)
What are the size of blanks I intend to core? (will help you determine the stability you will feel comfortable with, especially if your going to core 16" and larger blanks)
Am I going to core odd shapes or just round bottom bowls? (Will help you with the versatility you require)
Am I willing to invest the time for the learning curve? (McNaughton has a little more curve than the other two)
What type of wood am I going to core? (some really hard woods with certain grain structure, like locust, can be really tough on larger blanks)
Do I just want a new tool and challenge or am I really out to maximize my yield? (either may be a good enough reason however your money made be better spent somewhere else)
Am I going to try and core a seven piece nested set? (definitely a McNaughton job)
Do I have the lathe capability to handle a system? (You can core on smaller size lathes however it requires a bit more learning curve, for all the systems, due to motor power)
Am I a casual corer or am I intending to production core? (For me when I production cored the McNaughton was fastest for me because I cored a huge variety of blank sizes and species - Glenn Lucas finds the oneway fastest but he cores the exact same size blanks over and over)

These are a few questions to ask yourself and I hope others add questions they had to ask themselves. All of the systems work but they may not all work for the answers you provide for yourself. As with all equipment we tend to promote what we have rather than help you with questions, you should answer, to help guide you to the best tool for you. I hope this helps you on your journey, coring is fun and rewarding.
Perfect checklist! I plan to use that when (if ever) I start looking for a coring set.
First I gotta get a lathe, though.. HF's lathe would never handle coring (almost burned up the motor just working a 11 inch x 5 inch blank of hard maple into a bowl)

I have all 3 systems, and use the McNaughton the most.

Oneway: Their original cutter tip is, to me, the worst cutter design ever. That is why so many are now using the Hunter tip. I did take one of their blanks for their cutter before that cutting tip was ground into it, ground it to a trapezoid shape, wide at the nose, and narrow where it sits on the arm, and it cut far better and easier than their standard tip and you didn't have to take it off to sharpen it. This system is rock solid, all the way out to the tip of the biggest blade they make. Most of us only think of having the pivoting center, pretty much centered on the lathe bed. By moving it to either side, you can greatly change the trajectory to get flatter or deeper cores. If you get much off to the sides, you can run into binding issues since the curvature of the support finger is fairly specific to certain diameters. It isn't difficult to move the set up a bit to one side or the other to open up the kerf.

Woodcut: I have had the 2 blade system for a while, and did like it. It was prone to chattering a bit on harder woods. I do have the 3 blade system, but haven't gotten it set up and used. They did greatly beef up the plate it sits on. It does require you to use the tailstock as part of the stabilizing process. It is a simple and efficient system.

McNaughton: Every one who has ever tried to use it swears at it. Every one who knows how to use it swears by it. I once turn my bowls. I can take the first core in less time than it takes me to set up the Oneway or the Woodcut. I used to be able to core a 13 by 6 inch blank, 4 bowls, and finish turn those bowls in about 50 minutes. There are 2 problems with learning how to use it. One is that since it is not on a pivoting center, you have to do the aiming. I probably should update my video on it. Watching Mike Mahoney at the Oregon Woodturning Symposium last weekend, like me, he uses the medium curve blade for 90% of his coring. The second problem is with the blades themselves. You don't have to look very closely to see that the last inch or so of each blade tends to go straight, rather than follow the curve of the particular arc. My guess is that they are profiled first, meaning the rounded edges top and bottom, and then bent. It is pretty much impossible to get enough pressure on them to get the tip to follow the curve. I have one blade that I hammered and tweaked till it was pretty close, and it actually drifted to the inside of the cut. As they come, they always drift to the outside of the cut as you core. Not much of a problem for more shallow cores. Big problem when going deep. You do have to open up the kerf since the blade will bind in the cut. Usually open up to the outside of the bowl. I guess a 3rd problem would be height adjustment. They tell you to set it with the longest blade, lift the handle against the top of the stop thing, and that is the correct height. Well, no. There is a lot of 'flex' built into the system. If you have ever tried to remove the stub left when you break out the core, once the blade engages that stub, it drops considerably. I start mine at about 1/4 inch above center, and for deeper cores, this is not enough. I have learned to 'feel' when that cutter is below center, and adjust accordingly. My guess is that this is the main reason some have so many catches near the bottom of the core. I do use a stop collar around the post of the tool rest, end grain turned and drilled out for the post. This makes sure it stays in place. I have a video out on how to use it, and Dale Bonertz has one as well. There are others. None of the other systems will tend to drift as you cut. I have talked to Kel McNaughton a couple of times about this issue, and he insists the blades are spot on. For me, I don't have to lay them on a circle template to check out the curve. I have often thought about using a torch and metal forms to persuade the blades into the perfect arc. I don't think that would be good for the laminate that is used for the cutting edge. I have retipped a couple of my blades with tantung. That does work great.

Oh, for sharpening the Woodcut and the McNaughton, I use a coarse diamond card and a couple of swipes across the bevel to raise a burr. They are scrapers, and scrapers usually need a burr for best cutting.

robo hippy

I like the Oneway system. I’d agree with the above comments on cutter design, not the best. After having to sharpen the regular cutters way too often, I bought the Oneway carbide cutter and it cuts great. Would like to try the Korpro cutter, but I’m not coring enough right now to justify the investment.

A lot of great input so far...thank you guys. Whats the thoughts on the new Woodcut Bowlsaver Max4? I am curious as to how important/convenient the laser would be.

One thing not spoken much about coring systems is pucker factor. How are your nerves? Very few if any videos are not going to show you what happens when something goes wrong. Which system has the least pucker factor? For me the Oneway just beat out the Woodcut in that factor. For me the McNaughton just oozed pucker factor, having to keep the blade up against the stop and the correct pushing pressure. Hey I could core well with the McNaughton but that pucker factor was constant. The Oneway with the support blade going into the cut halfway through cut that pucker factor way down. Woodcut lent me a Bowlsaver 3 when they came out and I put a 15" piece of Ash on the lathe to try it. This Ash turned out to be so hard that I thought that I was going to break this Bowlsaver 3. It did core the piece and I returned the system unbroken but it was very stressful (If there was no Oneway the Bowlsaver would be my choice as I did own the original). The Korpro just added one more layer of less stress using the Oneway as I can control the cut just using 2 fingers through the cut. Before you by a system ask yourself just exactly are you going to use it for? If your answer is just saving wood and getting more bowls out of the piece then any of them will work. If your looking to core different shaped bowls the McNaughton will do it better. The Oneway will also give you different shapes but not as varied as the McNaughton. The Woodcut is more or less going to give you the same always. Now if you are looking for the most stress free coring (pucker factor) it is without a doubt the Oneway. And again I know the Korpro is not cheap but the difference between it and the regular or carbide regular cutters is just amazing. (I do not own stock in Hunter Tool Systems but I wish I did :)).

I’ve had the Bowsaver 2 blade for ~5 yrs. Use it on a Nova Galaxi 16” swing. Its done what I expected, and I’m glad I did not spend the extra $ on a Oneway. IMO the OW is overkill (design and $) even for larger knives - the Mcnaughton does not use a blade support and is used for large coring.

The Oneway and Bowlsaver have the same flexibility in terms of cutting path - both can be offset from center to adjust the arc through the blank. Had I understood this better at the time I would have gotten the 3 blade Bowlsaver - I didnt realize how the larger blade could have been used on smaller blanks.

I agree with Bill Blasic, “pucker factor” does play into it. This is overcome with experience, but how often the unit is used does also - not using it for several months will bring back a lot of the initial stress.

The McNaughton needs more skill (as described), but also needs more power, from the lathe and the operator. The blade binds and over time I read several instances of them being bent, so I see it as a tool that needs to be used relatively often to keep the skill level intact.

As for the laser for the Woodcut systems - yes it helps. I cobbled together my own. I had Ron Brown’s Best laser setup (attaches to many different hand held hollowing tools by clamping around the tool). I used the horizontal bar and 90 deg clamp to make a setup for the corer. A nail in the bottom of the vertical support (wood dowel) locates in a center punch dimple in the pivot bolt head, and a small plastic bubble level indicates the level position. Makes it a lot easier to layout a blank for multiple cores.

I would like to have a McNaughton system, but more for just the challenge of learning it, so that will probably wait until I happen across one priced right.

When I bought mine, there was a dramatic difference in $ between OW and BS (I think I paid ~$380). I know the BS Max4 is more like $900, and I havent priced out a OW in years. I havent used a Max 4 but I would have high confidence in it based on my experience with the 2 blade version.

The laser set up for the Woodcut Bowl saver is a good idea, but not necessary. Woodcut did supply templates that would measure the correct distance from your chuck to the center pivot point. With the Oneway system, I have a set of rectangles. Simply place them between the headstock and your coring platform, and that gives you a set distance, which is supposed to be in the 1/2 inch away from where you want the bottom of the bowl to be. You can do pretty much the same with the Woodcut. You can also just put your chuck on, and then slide the coring set up into that proper distance. The McNaughton did have a laser set up. Only picture I saw of it was in the Craft Supplies catalogue, and they had it mounted wrong. I had the bracket welded to my handle since it was mounted using the same set screws that secured the blade. I did see one You Tube video where the guy coring drew pencil lines on the bowl blank before coring, which were the depths that he wanted to core to. I thought that was a good idea. To aim, first, I lay the intended blade against the outside of the bowl blank. If the blade has a flatter curve than the bowl, I aim more into the center of the bowl. If the blade has a tighter curve, I aim more down the wall. The pucker factor never got to me, I do like a challenge..... Worst thing that happened was that I had one of the early 3520A models. I was coring some black locust and the pressure plate on the bottom of the headstock broke. The first ones were cast iron. Bad choice.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
am curious as to how important/convenient the laser would be.

I’ve always been able to hold the McNaughton blade above the blank to see where it will track with the gate setup.
you can add a laser or camera to any of them. Whether it is worth doing is up to you.

for me A laser or camera would show the blade following the track I saw holding the blade above the blank.
it really can’t go anywhere else

I,too hold the blade on top of the blank to see the track - then holding my fingers on either side of the blade at the point where the blade crosses the face, I pull the blade back through my fingers until the cutter is at The face. Observing the angle of the handle to the ways gives me the entry angle for the blade to track to the center.

Sounds like there may be confusion about lasers. The laser for the Bowlsaver is intended to help layout the cores in a piece, it does not stay attached (it just drops into a hole in the center bolt) while cutting. I find my setup works much better than the templates for drawing pencil layout lines on the blank to plan out the cores.

I have no idea if the laser stays in place on a McNaughton during cutting. The discussion above does not clarify that aspect.

for me A laser or camera would show the blade following the track I saw holding the blade above the blank.
it really can’t go anywhere else

I find this an interesting comment - the McN is supposedly better due to being able to steer the tip where desired giving more shape flexibility. If the cutter/blade tracks in a fairly fixed path, then I guess it is the varying radius blades that create the flexibility?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
ounds like there may be confusion about lasers. The laser for the Bowlsaver is intended to help layout the cores in a piece, it does not stay attached (it just drops into a hole in the center bolt) while cutting. I find my setup works much better than the templates for drawing pencil layout lines on the blank to plan out the cores.

i didn’t think he was referring to the setup laser

but something like this. i think it is on a woodcut.
0B4E888C-2B5D-409A-AC31-58EA8A14B240.jpeg584DA2F9-7EB5-403D-B3E8-1AF07BD33395.jpegDFF2CC11-670F-4C03-BC5F-EC35FDAAA6D4.jpeg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
the McN is supposedly better due to being able to steer the tip where desired giving more shape flexibility. If the cutter/blade tracks in a fairly fixed path, then I guess it is the varying radius blades that create the flexibility?

you can widen the kerf with the McNaughton to reduce binding and that does change the curve on the core slightly from the curve of the blade. But each blade wants cut it’s arc.

I think the different radius blades paired with the angle of the entry cut gives the flexibility
I have used the big curve to core a wide shallow bowls Where I might get a 12d 3”H core

but I don’t do that many bowls so haven’t cored in years.
I’ve probably cored 50 bowls with 2 cores from most 3 cores from a few large ones.
my technique was to wiggle the handle left and right as I cored. This moves the cutter back and forth a little which widens the kerf.
lets the chips out easier and reduces friction on the blade.

the gate paired with the entry cut position and entry cut angle pretty much determine the path of the blade.

The Woodcut attaches to the tailstock which severely limits the ability and angle to enter the cut to change the shape of the bowl especially with the original Woodcut. The Oneway can easily change the entry angle for shallower or deeper bowls. Let me state that my use is based on getting the most bowls from a piece of wood not varying the shape but I have seen it done as we demoed that in my shop for my club, it works. Out of a 16" or 18" burl I want 6 or 8 cores or more out of that wood. That was my main reason for spending a couple days with Chris Ramsey as I believe he is the best at using the Oneway Coring System and he proved that to me while I was there.

Depends on what you are going to use it for. Just the occasional bowl any will do and the Woodcut is the most economical. Production use the OneWay, versatility the McNaughton. I wish in the beginning of my career I had forced myself to use the McNaughton. But seeing I only core a couple of times a year It is so much easier to get out the Woodcut

I have Oneway with Korpro cutter and Glenn Lucas level upgrade. Works great, low learning curve, setup goes fast once you understand the basics. The Korpro cutter is amazing. You do need to learn the sounds and feels of how it is cutting to understand when to clear the chips out. The Glenn Lucas lever upgrade makes it so you can move the support arm without using a wrench, they are levers.

Ah, yes, wrenches. That's one of the most annoying aspects of the Oneway. Substituting a fixed lever improves that issue. There is also a whole lot of taking stuff off and putting it back on, and then getting it positioned right with the Oneway. With the coring systems that use the banjo, you can pop the tool off, stick in your tool rest, prep the bottom of the core, and then pop the coring tool back in again. Not so with the Oneway, where it's take out knife and guide, unscrew base, take it off, put on banjo, stick in tool rest, prep tenon on core, then do it all in reverse, plus properly position base.

For those of us who core rarely, that extra fussing is an acceptable trade-off for the consistency, but I can certainly understand how Dale Bonertz and Mike Mahoney would go bonkers trying to produce large numbers of blanks with the Oneway, even with the Korpro.

I'm kind of up in the air about what direction I want to go in but I've got some big pieces of wood that I'm waiting to core and I'm feeling ancy!

The Mcnaughton gear looks like it's kind of up my alley as I don't mind learning the ins and out and it seems to be pretty versatile. Everything you need in a small package. But the Oneway system seems super solid and a bit easier, just a much bigger financial commitment with less versatility than the mcnaughton. The woodcut system looks nice and simple too but I haven't done as much research there...

Would love to know more about what people with experience doing this use and why some systems may be "better" than others.
I went with one way, when you cut the plywood spacers for each knife you never have to question if you are coring is to deep or not. The only draw back is you have to buy carbide cutters because one ways won't last long.

Hi Charlie and all, firstly disclosure my family owns Woodcut Tools which has been making Bowl Coring products for over 30 years from our location here in NZ. I recently led the team that designed and developed the Woodcut Bowlsaver Max 4 product for coring bowls up to 18" diameter. The Max 4 was designed given feedback we received on the Max 3 and feedback from other customers who use other products. I note all the comments on this thread. In addition I just wanted to add comment on a) the Stellite cutter and b) the large Max blade

a) The Stellite cutter- In the 90's when Ken Port our founder was designing the Woodcut Bowlsaver original, he visited local saw mills here in NZ to establish what cutters performed well. The feedback was consistent, check out Stellite because it is resilient to withstand knots and stones in the wood and can be hollow ground, very long lasting. So all Woodcut Bowl coring products have a Stellite cutter, we've been fortunate to sell many of these products each year, we don't sell many replacement cutters. In addition for those that watched Kirk De Heer's recent bowl coring demonstration at the Worldwide Woodturners Symposium he specifically commented about the superior finish of the Stellite cutter versus other Bowl coring products.

b) The Max blade- those that have viewed the Max 4 will note the large curved blade. We spent alot of effort getting the profile of this blade correct to cut efficiently. But importantly the purpose of this blade is to provide stability, there is no need to support this blade with a rest that can also risk dig in with the project or add complexity to the process.

I hope this information is useful and welcome any questions on the Woodcut Tools bowl coring products, or any of our other products. We are always looking for opportunities to improve what we do, so feedback is welcome.

Best regards

Dan

Not sure if it was the flex of the system, (and sloppy banjo) or that my 4224 that came with a weak 2hp motor that stalled a couple times, but I had a massive catch with the McNaughton and haven't used it much since. It broke the post off the mount that sent quite a shock wave thru my hands. I hadn't even had it a month, so I was sent a replacement pretty quickly. After getting it and mustering the courage to set it up again, I realized the blade I was using was also twisted/bent. (It was, at least in part, a result of my inexperience so I didn't ask for a replacement of the blade)

I've replaced my motor and VFD and learned a few more skills, so I should probably get it out and try increasing the height a little.

I've replaced my motor and VFD and learned a few more skills, so I should probably get it out and try increasing the height a little.
Darryl - I’d suggest that you spend some time with the videos by Mahoney and Reed before pulling it out again. Get a feel for the feed rate, how it’s controlled and he sounds that normal coring makes. It does help, at least it helped me when starting out. It really doesn’t need to be scary, but deserves to be approached with respect and care for personal safety.

When coring, you need to use the low speed range, unless your lathe has 3 pulleys, then you can use the middle one. Massive catches with the McNaughton are usually, at least as far as I can tell, come from being below center. This is why I have mine set at least 1/4 inch above center. There is a learning curve with it....

Stellite is a good material. I got a few blanks from Canada when making the Big Ugly tool. I can't really say if it performed better than the tantung or not. Wish I had more to play around with. Last time I contacted them, they wanted to sell me a block of it. I could have afforded it then, but had no way to process it into 1 by 3 by 1/8 inch pieces. Highly resistant to abrasion when cutting, very durable edge. Some one needs to make the Big Ugly tool for sale....

I am getting ready for my one show per year, and will be breaking out the Max 4 just to see how it performs. The cutters on it are now flat across the top. The original 2 blade system I have, the cutters were slightly concave. That did seem to eject the chips better than the square tips I had on my McNaughton. I did have one tip I made from a blank that Oneway sent me that didn't have the tip ground on it. It was also flat across the top. Might have to dig that one out as well....

robo hippy

Last edited:
Darryl, I'm suspicious that you momentarily failed to keep the far/Darryl end of the handle firmly up and the knife tightly up against whatever version of stop you have on your turret. If you let that end of the handle down, the cutting end drifts up and can be slammed back down, especially if there's a goober of wet wood particles in the kerf that comes around to catch the knife.

When coring, you need to use the low speed range, unless your lathe has 3 pulleys, then you can use the middle one. Massive catches with the McNaughton are usually, at least as far as I can tell, come from being below center. This is why I have mine set at least 1/4 inch above center. There is a learning curve with it....

Stellite is a good material. I got a few blanks from Canada when making the Big Ugly tool. I can't really say if it performed better than the tantung or not. Wish I had more to play around with. Last time I contacted them, they wanted to sell me a block of it. I could have afforded it then, but had no way to process it into 1 by 3 by 1/8 inch pieces. Highly resistant to abrasion when cutting, very durable edge. Some one needs to make the Big Ugly tool for sale....

I am getting ready for my one show per year, and will be breaking out the Max 4 just to see how it performs. The cutters on it are now flat across the top. The original 2 blade system I have, the cutters were slightly concave. That did seem to eject the chips better than the square tips I had on my McNaughton. I did have one tip I made from a blank that Oneway sent me that didn't have the tip ground on it. It was also flat across the top. Might have to dig that one out as well....

robo hippy
Hi Robo, yes the Woodcut Bowlsaver and Max 4 cutter is currently made available square at the front. Alternatively we have tested a tapered shape and it works well, especially if you want a less aggressive cut. Please contact me dan@woodcut-tools.com and I will share a picture and any detail you need on this. Cheers Dan

I just demonstrated my McNaughton to a fellow turner who was confused about how best to decide. He made is own lathe and the McN will fit will the OneWay won't. I turned the smallest core to demo the technique, then let him turn the next core. He was uncomfortable about his following the curve - but when I explained the "point the handle where you pointed it when you set the system up" he got a perfect cut. I think the hardest part for him was keeping the tool handle up against the support - that really made a difference in how much chatter and therefore clean cutting he did. The other thing to note is he was a left-handed turned who normally turns the inside of a bowl from the opposite side of the lathe! I like the flexibility of the McNaughton and did not like the "every bowl looks like every other bowl one the oneway. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Dan, I won't have any problems figuring it out. I had the first version of the McNaughton cutters, where the wing was all on one side. I heard that people were experimenting with different shapes, so I did as well. Bevel to the right, bevel to the left, and square, and I settled on square across. Even with their newer blades, I grind them straight across. I have put some tantung on the tips of old blades, and it works fine. The spear point was a Mike Mahoney idea. The purpose was in part to be able to cut a blank all the way out. If you are cutting crotch wood, or some burls, if you try to break the core out, you can rip fibers out all the way through the bottom. Did that more than once. To me, the trick if you are trying to do that, is to have the cutter at dead center. If you are below center, it is impossible. Being able to figure out where dead center is the trick. With the coring systems that are on a fixed base like yours and the Oneway, this is not a problem. The McNaughton, well, you have to figure it out. Oh, part of the spear point idea was also for 'fishtailing' as Mike called it. He wiggles the coring blade side to side as he does deeper cores. This is to open up the kerf, which is a necessity. I do need to make my own blades and bend them to perfect circle arcs some time, just to see how much of a change that will make. I do have the Max 4 system. Still in the box....

robo hippy

Back