• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl gouge nomenclature

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Not sure you will find a consensus
1. I call 1 the bevel angle it is used the set the grinder up.
in a 40/40 it will be. 40 in an Ellsworth 60 in a bottom of the bowl 80
this front bevel or nose bevel in large part defines the grind and certainly limits which grind you can get.

2. wing profile
Nearly straight In some grinds. curves in the Ellsworth and others, close to vertical in the traditional

3 I would call the bevel face or the bevel angle of the wing
In the 40/40 the wing bevel is 40 in the Ellsworth the wing bevel is 30-25

Yea, kind of like what Al said... Nose bevel, wing bevel, and wing profile. They can change a lot depending on how you sharpen. The wing profile ranges between flat/straight and a slight arc like the one you show in the picture. Almost all of my gouge wing profiles are slightly arced. I would guess that with a 40/40 grind, with a V shaped flute like Thompson, the wing tends to be more straight, and with a parabolic flute, it will be more arced. Probably the same with a swept back grind.

robo hippy

Im pretty much with Al

1. I typically refer to it as simply THE bevel angle
2. same - wing profile, not typically referred to as an angle but a line shape: straight, convex (middle “higher” than the ends), concave (any downward droop from a straight line)
3. same - wing bevel angle

With regards to wing profile of a 40/40 grind with a parabolic flute, mine are straight.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
We.could call.3 the included angle.if the wing because it will.change with the shape of the flute and the sharpening technique. Or.call.it the sharpening angle although that would be confused with the sharpening bevel angle.

@Clifton C , great question and probably the best photograph of the business end of a gouge I've ever seen. I hope you took it.

In my opinion the nomenclature for angle 1 has to include the word "nose". It could be nose angle or nose bevel angle, but "bevel angle" is hopelessly ambiguous.

For 3, wing bevel angle works.

2 is complicated. Wing profile is a good term if it's understood that wing profile has sub components, most notably edge convexity, and sweep (long=Ellsworth; short=traditional).

Mark, thanks, I did. The purpose of the post was for me to be more consistent when discussing sharpening. I've used the term "bevel" as in bevel angle, but someone could point to any place along the cutting edge and it would have a bevel angle. I think I'm going to go with "Nose Bevel" "Wing Bevel" and "Wing Profile". I know "Nose Bevel Angle" is more descriptive, it just doesn't flow, silly I know but...
Thanks to all who replied.
c

Back