• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Brass Threaded Inserts source UPDATE!!!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Found half the equation in the UK, searching for "brass flanged back nut". We must call it something else. Now we need some threads... haven't given up yet...
That's it!! I'm visiting the specialty plumbing stores this week. Thanks for looking into this. Aloha.

Found half the equation in the UK, searching for "brass flanged back nut". We must call it something else. Now we need some threads... haven't given up yet...
"Backnut" sounds like some kind of hickory.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I'm still sitting on a request for a few pet urns and got another today at a market event I was at so thanks for the info. Maybe now I can get started.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm happy to report that Mary Brantley, Rick's widow, and their son Christopher are continuing with Rick's work. I talked to Mary a few days ago. She sent me 4 of the 4 in brass inserts. If you need some, send her an email or call her on the phone. My brother in law passed away a few days ago. A got the call to make an urn and the same day I got the box from Mary. Looks like Rick was up there and knew I really needed the inserts. the website is www.fromwalnuttoantlers.com

Well, reading all of this makes me wonder what other types of metals will work. I think with the brass there is a lead safety issue. I was wondering about stainless steel? Perhaps make a rubber mold and cast epoxy for inserts? Make it thick enough to withstand most warping... Maybe make with a flange to add warp resistance???

robo hippy

A member of our guild regularly makes cremation urns and he gave a talk at one meeting outlining the criteria that funeral directors demand.

Cremation Urns have to fit the following parameters due to their being large enough to hold the ashes yet still small enough to fit into a normal Crypt (12” D X 12” H X 6” W)
Size – one pound of flesh equals 1 cubic inch of ash. Funeral homes want urns that hold at least 200 cubic inches.
The urn must be sealed and be able to be sealed once filled with ash (the ash is normally in a plastic bag inside the urn, so care must be taken to ensure there are no sharp edges, burs, or roughness that could puncture or rip the plastic bag).
Opening at top for ashes bust be at least 2 ½” diameter.

I have yet to make a funeral urn but I did buy some of Rick's inserts as aprt of a group buy 2 years ago.

Well, reading all of this makes me wonder what other types of metals will work. I think with the brass there is a lead safety issue. I was wondering about stainless steel? Perhaps make a rubber mold and cast epoxy for inserts? Make it thick enough to withstand most warping... Maybe make with a flange to add warp resistance???

robo hippy
I don't believe there is lead in brass.

Graham, I'm not sure I understand your dimensions. Normally, we have L (length) X W (width) X H (height). Can you clarify your D X H X W?

Some years back, when I still did concrete work, the groove cutting tools were all made out of brass. They stopped making those and went to cheap pot metal. Supposedly this was because of the possibility of lead poisoning from the lead in the brass. At least that is the story I heard. I don't think they were bronze... The only thing I really know about metals is how to grind them...

robo hippy

Some years back, when I still did concrete work, the groove cutting tools were all made out of brass. They stopped making those and went to cheap pot metal. Supposedly this was because of the possibility of lead poisoning from the lead in the brass. At least that is the story I heard. I don't think they were bronze... The only thing I really know about metals is how to grind them...

robo hippy

Some alloys may contain some lead, but small amounts, to cut concrete they most likely had some abrasive included. Pot metal is cheaper.
For alloys see below.

Stu

Phil. the dimensions refer to the crypt: 12" deep, 12" high and 6" wide.
Of course these size limits don't apply if you are keeping the remains at home or burying the urn. However, the minimum 2.5" diameter of the opening still applies.

Phil. the dimensions refer to the crypt: 12" deep, 12" high and 6" wide.
Of course these size limits don't apply if you are keeping the remains at home or burying the urn. However, the minimum 2.5" diameter of the opening still applies.
That sounds like the urn, if turned and round, would need to be at maximum 5-7/8" outside diameter (to fit the width) and 11-7/8" outside height (to fit the height). Note a cylinder shape 5" inside diameter X 11" high would equal about 215 cubic inches and of course that only leaves 7/16" for the top bottom and side, which would be hard to accomplish in wood.

Those are the dimensions supplied by local undertakers/funeral directors. Yours may be different but it is not necessary to use their crypt, which is just another money maker for them.
The urns containing my parent's ashes were buried in a cemetery so dimensions were not critical,
The urn that is illustrated as my avatar is 7.5" in diameter and 3-4mm or 1/8" - 5/32" wall thickness.

Just to clarify a crypt is an underground room or vault in a church or some other building. A vault is typically a concrete box in which the urn is placed to be buried. The cemetery I am the sextant at has no rules about the burial of cremains exept they must be in a container and the space must have a marker, no vault required. Most funeral homes know the regulations of the local cemetery but today many of the burials we have are from outside our community so it's important that people are aware of the specific cemetery's regulations.

The pot metal tools wore out really quickly. Never understood why they didn't make them out of steel. Probably too expensive. Now days, they saw cut most joints.

I would think that there must be some metals more readily available for threading of this sort, that would work well, and look much better than the plastic...

robo hippy

I have been searching online for a source of brass threaded inserts to convert them into urn threads. Sadly, my friend Rick Brantley passed away. I do not think his son will be picking up the business. My favorite size is 3.5 in. I do not even know what I'm looking for. Brass threaded plumbing couplers? Rick told me it wasn't that hard to do it. He did it on his lathe, with turning tools. Found some on a plumbing site, but a 4 in threaded brass something, I think for a bathtub is $97. I'm planning on wandering through the aisles of Lowe's and Home Depot. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to revive an old thread but I find myself in a situation which requires I turn an urn. Ruth Niles carries three sizes of "Threaded Bronze Urn Inserts." I'll copy the dimensions below. The site is: nilesbottlestoppers.com.

The inside measurement for the 1.5″ ring is 1″ with an overall height of 1/2″
The inside measurement for the 2.5″ ring is 2″ with an overall height of 1/2″
The inside measurement for the 3.5″ ring is 3″ with an overall height of 5/8″

Back