• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Breathing Smoke from Pyrography

I have been learning so much and am in awe of beyond on the lathe, the detailing that some do. When I’ve played around with pyrography “branding” for texture is endless in creations.

I’ve been using a small fan to pull smoke away and have little smoke I smell once doing that. I’ve seen mention of respirators but my understanding is many are just for dust particles not smoke. What are your thoughts on the smoke factor?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Breathing smoke is harmful. If you are outdoors and using a fan to "blow" the smoke away then that would work. A fan wouldn't be effective in "pulling" if you mean having the fan facing away from you. Regarding air filtration, smoke and dust are both particulate matter. Wood dust is usually larger than 1 micron and smoke is usually smaller. The smaller the particle size, the more harmful it is because our respiratory systems have more difficulty trapping them before they get into our lungs. Once submicron particulate matter gets inside our lungs it will be there forever. There are other options besides using a powered respirator, you could use a mask rated N100, P100, or N95. NOTE: The KN95 COVID masks are not real N95 masks and wouldn't be suitable for protecting your lungs from smoke.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Breathing smoke is harmful. If you are outdoors and using a fan to "blow" the smoke away then that would work. A fan wouldn't be effective in "pulling" if you mean having the fan facing away from you. Regarding air filtration, smoke and dust are both particulate matter. Wood dust is usually larger than 1 micron and smoke is usually smaller. The smaller the particle size, the more harmful it is because our respiratory systems have more difficulty trapping them before they get into our lungs. Once submicron particulate matter gets inside our lungs it will be there forever. There are other options besides using a powered respirator, you could use a mask rated N100, P100, or N95. NOTE: The KN95 COVID masks are not real N95 masks and wouldn't be suitable for protecting your lungs from smoke.
All that being true. However, when wood burning (as in Rachel's case) a fan in close proximity will "pull" the smoke away from your face (especially the eyes). A fan at your back won't do that. If somewhere on the side it will usually blow the smoke away from your face, but also can cause cooling of your burning tip especially at lower heat settings (DAMHIKT). In either case, no smoke in your face but it can still build up in your shop. :( No real winning solution here.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I always do my pyrography outdoors and I don't do any branding. I mainly do fine detail pyrography on my basket illusion pieces at low heat where the wood just gets lightly scorched and there isn't much smoke, but still a little smell of resin cooking. If the wind is blowing that's even better.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
Look into soldering fume extractors. The most basic is a small benchtop unit that is essentially a filter and a fan. The fan draws the air in through the filter, removing the particulate matter. Works great. I have a couple for working with electronics.

Edited to add: This is similar to what I have. There are a bunch on the web that all look like this, probably the same factory in China pumping them out :) Click here please.

I believe that Molly Winton stopped doing pyrography due to smoke issues. For me, I would have a fan blowing the smoke away from me, not trying to suck it away from me, unless I had a hood I was burning inside of.

robo hippy

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
When soldering, I use some computer fans to pull the solder smoke away from me. The steady stream of air from the small, fast fans works well.

Back