• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bret Hinz

I've posted a couple times, but have never introduced myself.

I've known people that have had shop classes in high school, but I never did, myself. (20 something years ago)

I've always been infatuated with lathes, but don't know anyone that does wood work. There is a volunteer at the office my wife works at, whose husband turns. He said I could come hang out. I went over and he let me turn a spalted maple bowl. Rough turned it one Saturday, brushed on Pentacryl, then finished it the next week, using Behrens (spelling?) friction finish. I used his Delta 46-460 to turn the bowl.

I've had a shopsmith for 8 years or so, bought it from an auction, but it didn't come with a chuck. I didn't even know where to begin. On further research, I decided I didn't want to use it as a lathe. It's a 50's model, single bearing spindle; didn't want to have to slow it down to turn it off, then crank it up again every time i turned it on (due to the way the speed control works).

Well, I'd been watching ebay, and picked up a Delta 46-460 with a cracked plastic guard over the wheels (same as the guy whose lathe i used to turn the bowl). It's fine, doesn't bother me, isn't a danger, it's just up by the hinge. anyway, it's a new lathe with a cracked housing, got it for $420 shipped. next, picked up the benjamin's best tool set (wood magazine's pick a while ago) from PSI, figuring it was a good starting point, despite how badly i would like some sorby's :p

then, picked up a supernova 2 reconditioned chuck from nova.

well, now i have the lathe, chuck, tools, but no way to sharpen them..... :( last weekend i bought the slow speed grinder from WC. the platforms are so small, there is no way to sharpen the tools with the originals. which led me to buying the wolverine system.

So, now i've got the lathe, chuck, tools, sharpening system... but nothing to put them on.

I was going to build a bench, placing the lathe on the front with room on the end to expand to a longer bed in the future, or a workspace for now. on the left end (as your facing the lathe), i was going to mount the grinder.

My question- Will 3/4 or thicker plywood (can't think of what it's called, the good stuff) be okay, or will it sag over time? Or, should I just make the top using 2x4's, placing a smooth type of surface over the top?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Plywood will support it because you will probably have some sort of support directly under the feet. Just build a good solid stand and you should be OK. That lathe weight 100lbs which isn't that heavy if make your stand out of something solid. 2x4's will also work great.
Sounds like your about set to go. Start with anything,usually small stuff at first. That way when you get a catch it isn't so dramatic. You can learn quite a bit from my short video's. go you www.youtube.com and type in John60lucas and you should be able to find them. I haven't done one on bowls or the bowl gouge yet. That's planned but hopefully the sharpening videos will be usefull to you as well as some of the other techniques.

You'd probably be better doubling up on the sheet goods if you plan on adding on later. You don't want sags or slopes to twist the bed and frustrate you when it comes time to align. Get some 3/4 chipboard with melamine covering, double it up, mount your lathe on blocks so you can get under to clean, and you should be good to go. You could also use those or similar sheetgoods in 2" widths as bracing under the top (overkill, probably), and even make your legs (splayed out front, please) with sheetgoods reinforced by sheetgoods. The stuff is heavy, so if you plan on rolling it around, get good wheels. Couple shelves or a cabinet to complete the package. After all, you'll want a brace somewhere around the middle of the distance from floor to top.

lathe stands

I used 2x 10's for the tops and 2x8 for the legs on my 6 delta midis

and 2x8 for the cross supports

I hope this helps.

lathe stand 010.jpg

new photos 004.jpg

new photos 002.jpg

Last edited:
Back