• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Brett Baum

Hello all. I'll say I'm new to turning. I loved working on the lathe in high school but that was over 30 years ago and just didn't really have access to one since then. Last year I went to my school shop on the weekend and turned out some beer tap pulls. I was very happy how quickly I remembered and I really enjoyed the work again. After lots of research, asked my wife for a lathe for Christmas. Ordered a Nova Comet II the day after and saved almost $90 over what it was listed in early December. It's backordered so I have some time to straighten out the garage and finish a couple other projects before I start delving into bowls, spindles and other projects.

A little more about me. I'm a school principal in a small town in North Central WA. I've always enjoyed woodworking and building things but never have the time nor the advanced tools. Have the basic hand power tools, compressor, Ryobi BT3000 table saw, Central Machinery compound miter saw, small drill press and a cheap Delta scroll saw. With the lathe now coming, my next wishes are: Band saw, joiner, thickness planer.
Below are some pics of my tap pulls from last year's turning session and one of a couple wall hanging projects I made. One for my daughter at college, the other as a donation to our athletic booster auction, it brought $85 if I remember correctly.
FB_IMG_1514496040968.jpg FB_IMG_1514496033122.jpg FB_IMG_1514496007082.jpg FB_IMG_1514496019864.jpg 20171228_132532.jpg FB_IMG_1514496102086.jpg FB_IMG_1514497985409.jpg

Welcome Brett to the AAW forum. Brett, I think you will find that the band saw will be a very much used saw in woodturning for re sawing and trimming, cutting round bowl blanks as well. If your budget allows I would get at least a 14" band saw. I started out with a Delta 10" saw and it soon became to small for me. Happy turning oh, by the way that is some nice spindle work.

Thanks for the welcome and compliment. I keep my eye on the local classifieds and Craigslist for a bandsaw and yes, when I do get one, I want it to be big enough to do what I need.

Brett,

Welcome. Like you I started in high school, quit and started again in my retirement. You will find that all the members are very generous with their time and advice. I have been a member for a few years and this website is my "go to" website in the morning with my cup of coffee.

Even though I am a long way from you I have spent time up in the Okanogan. Beautiful country!

Jon

Back