• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bruce Scism

hello, and thanks for allowing me to join the group.

I am retired and have been involved in woodworking since the early 1990s but am relatively new to wood turning. While I enjoy building furniture I am enthralled by building boxes and now turning bowls - and building acoustic guitars.

I have never bought much wood, I prefer to find logs around town and/or keeping an eye out for trees coming down.

Areas of keen interest for me moving forward include:

Texturing
Enhancing and highlighting textures
Pyrography decorations
Segmenting

Marketing and selling finished creations

So much to do, thank God for retirement.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum.
There is so much to explore in woodturning. So many things can be turned from fresh cut wood.
I rarely buy wood. Just so much available.

AAW offers many learning opportunities for woodturning.
If you have not already done so connect with a local chapter of AAW.
They welcome visitors and offer many learning opportunities.
https://www.woodturner.org/page/Chapters
Lots of terrific turners in Va.

You tube has the good the bad and the ugly. Consider searching first the
Videos screened by AAW volunteers for safe and effective practices.
http://aawvideosource.org/

Also this forum has the tips and techniques with quite a few project oriented threads.
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?forums/tutorials-and-tips.4/

Welcome to the forum. Looking to seeing some of your work. Your list is most interesting as I anticipate learning from you as well.
I retired 10 years ago and took three days to adjust- Saturday, Sunday, Monday.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The night after I decided and announced my retirement, I woke up in a cold sweat around 3 a.m. thinking, “oh my, I won’t have a job”. That’s 40 yrs of conditioning. I shed any misgivings on the first day.

I had a similar reaction. I had a panicked feeling that there was somewhere I was supposed to be and then thinking I'm probably late on my very first day and I'll get in trouble.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The night after I decided and announced my retirement, I woke up in a cold sweat around 3 a.m. thinking, “oh my, I won’t have a job”. That’s 40 yrs of conditioning. I shed any misgivings on the first day.

When I retired I was in a different panic. I had lucked into being invited to do a solo show in a Baltimore gallery and needed to finish 30 pieces in five weeks.

Leading up to retirement several coworkers told me they were envious of the woodturning since I knew exactly what I would do when retired.

I sense you are in a similar place being able to do the turning you want to.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome Bruce! Looks like you fell in with a good bunch here judging by all the replies so far.

Speaking of which: quit gloating, all you retirees! Some of us aren't there yet (I'm only 62, but I'm sure some of my friends at work would say I retired years ago. :)

Second childhood? My wife says I never got out of the first one. How does all this relate to welcoming Bruce to the forum?o_O
Bruce, don't mind us. At our age, we tend to ramble about very little to nothing.

Welcome to the forum! SE Texas here.
Happy retirement!
I’ve just learned to spell that “R” word. I’m one of the guys these others come to see for memory meds.
Have to keep working for now.... lots of neat stuff for turning that I may need.... now where’s my keys,,,,,

Back