• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cactus Juice Question

The smell is very bad if it gets on your oven. Make sure your catch basin is bigger than you think you need. I almost had to buy my wife a new oven. PS: My opinion is it’s not worth the time or money.

Better half found a half broken toaster oven on a street corner. It lives on the back porch on a bench. The stink is bad, but worse on punky wood that already has an aroma. Nicely it has good temperature control and a timer too.

One recommendation I keep hearing from locals is don't cure resin in anything you plan on cooking food in. Not sure how bad it could get, but I recall hearing one of the compounds common to stabilizing resin(s) is propylene glycol. I don't doubt it as it shares the same stank as engine coolant. I know polyethylene is toxic and propylene is not (?as) but I just assume not eat either.

One recommendation I keep hearing from locals is don't cure resin in anything you plan on cooking food in. Not sure how bad it could get, but I recall hearing one of the compounds common to stabilizing resin(s) is propylene glycol. I don't doubt it as it shares the same stank as engine coolant. I know polyethylene is toxic and propylene is not (?as) but I just assume not eat either.
PG is commonly used in food, so I don't think is a worry in cured resin.

PG is commonly used in food, so I don't think is a worry in cured resin.
I think I can recall that is why I thought it wasn't. I think it's frequently used in oral suspension medicine like non-drowsy sinus medicine as a substitute for ethanol, as it is frowned upon while driving. It's still gross.

BTW, my most recent stabilized apple burl went from packing peanuts to massive figured in one stinky session

Attachments

• IMG_20230304_095839_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230304_095839_HDR.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 39
Well Murphy struck and my stabilizing project is on hold. I'm all set to get going and my NEW vacuum pump won't turn on. The motor just hums. I upgraded from a Hold Fast vacuum generator to a Gast vacuum pump back in February. It's worked great until yesterday. Contacted the company and so far they are non-responsive.

Most small motors are single phase induction, unless they are brushed or permanent magnet, which cheap motors almost never are. so assuming it is indeed single phase induction, the starter cap is important as it creates the phase shift necessary to destabilize the fields and start rotation. Just [unplug the motor from the outlet first] open the hump on the motor and find the (usually) ceramic cylinder with some numbers. they are typically 250v and fairly low μf relatively, and therefore quite cheap. I have replaced caps on my compressor, AC unit, pool pump and attic circulators with zero issues.

Hey Michael,

Thanks for your help and advice. This motor doesn't appear to have the little hump where the starter capacitor lives. The problem is definitely indicative of a faulty capacitor. I just have to find it. This is something I am not ready to do, yet. Although I am getting the feeling I will end up fixing this myself. Currently, I don't want to void the warranty by opening up the motor.

I purchased the pump, new, through Packard. I contacted Packard and they tried to get me a return authorization through One Way. Apparently, One Way supplies these pumps to the woodturning stores. Come to find out One Way severed its ties with Gast. I'm waiting for One Way to send me some info on who to contact at Gast (I'm not holding my breath). In the meantime, I've tried several times to contact Gast on my own. So far Gast's customer service needs much to be desired, and it seems Gast does not stand behind their products.

Well low and behold I got the pump to run. It was a real hi-tech solution. Basically, stuck a small screwdriver in the holes at the back of the motor and rotated the shaft a bit. Plugged it back in, flipped the switch and it started running. If I had to guess, the centrifugal switch may have gotten stuck.

Got my blanks soaking under vacuum. I'm assuming you leave the pump running until there are no more air bubbles.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Attachments

• 20230424_150003.jpg
    20230424_150003.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230424_150023.jpg
    20230424_150023.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 19
I am cheap, therefore I purchased the lowest cost vacuum pump. Typically I can run it for 25-30 minutes before it's too toasty to touch. I typically shut the vacuum chamber valve to the pump and turn off the vacuum till it's cooled down. I have noticed that the air continues to evacuate from the wood for a few hours, so I will wait until the bubbles stop before I turn the vacuum back on and open the valve again. I repeat this process till the vacuum maintains 29.8(ish) hg without creating any new bubbles.
I usually wait overnight to release the vacuum and then leave the wood submerged for the rest of the day. I cook the saturated wood in the evening and leave it overnight to cool and stop stinking.

To stabilize the temperature, fill the drip pan with gravel. without it the temp will have wild swings up and down. Cheap is the least frugal path.:)

Back