• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Can I have a Ditto Please?

This is an official lobby that the club chapters want the minutes of the board meetings posted on the website. In fact, we would like the minutes of all meetings which reflect changes to how chapters, membership or benefits of the AAW are impacted.

Will all the members who agree simply post a "I second that motion" ?

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also would like to see the minutes posted. At the General Membership meeting in Richmond, Angelo and the board said that they would begin to post Board Meeting Minutes to the members only area. No time frame was mentioned. The minutes are currently available if you request them through the AAW office.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know what happened to my post in this thread but here is my ditto again. "I second that motion" The minutes of the board meetings should be posted on the website.

G.A. Darling

Captain Eddie,

I agree that this would be one of the best ways to get the Chapter Presidents linked into issues of the AAW. If fact, I had just written this as a recommendation to Larry Genender along with some other ideas that could help improve communications. One of the other ideas I had was that we use the Symposium Chapter meeting as a vehicle to us to provide input of the Chapter needs, so that they can be incorporated into the AAW business plans.

Unfortunately, I hear Larry is leaving his role, so we'll have to make recommendations and connections with someone new.

Ed Malesky

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Minutes

You are not likely to get minutes posted on the web. During the Board's last teleconference it was determined that the policy should stay the way it is.

So, if you would like copies of the minutes of the Board meetings you can get copies by calling the main office. They will send copies as far back as you would like.

Angelo

As long as you're being so helpful would you mind starting a thread on how Board of Directors get nominated. When I was evaluating them for my vote I discovered that very few participate at all in this forum or have work in the member galleries. It might seem of odd for me to want my vote to go for active participants and want to see what kind of work they do, but that forms my vote better than a smiling photo and a two paragraph sound byte.

You are not likely to get minutes posted on the web. During the Board's last teleconference it was determined that the policy should stay the way it is.
Angelo

The reason I was asking is that, unless I looked them up wrong one of the nominees, Walter Tate, joined only this year. And I got a better idea of what they did by skimming the net than from what I could glean here. This all started because I thought to myself - I'll vote for the ones whose work I like best - they all claim to be good at organizational skills. Needless to say I didn't have any trouble finding Binh Pho's work or Ruminski's web site. After that the pickings got slim. Nor do they post much here.

Last edited:
The reason I was asking is that, unless I looked them up wrong one of the nominees, Walter Tate, joined only this year. And I got a better idea of what they did by skimming the net than from what I could glean here. This all started because I thought to myself - I'll vote for the ones whose work I like best - they all claim to be good at organizational skills. Needless to say I didn't have any trouble finding Binh Pho's work or Ruminski's web site. After that the pickings got slim. Nor do they post much here.

Marc,

I became involved in nomination process this year when a friends name was submitted by another local turner. Once the name is submitted the Selection Committee contacts that individual and asks if he/she is indeed interested in running. If the answer is yes, then letters of recommendation are required and a personal profile must be submitted to the Committee. The Committee will then contact the nominee both by phone and by email in an interview process. Each Committee member makes personal contact at different times. Then as I understand it, the Committee meets face to face to make their selections. The field is narrowed to six and those are the ones we see in the Journal and our mailing.

This is my personal observation and opinion, their(nominees) organizational and people skills are most important. The size and scope of the AAW today makes these skills requisite for a board member. Obviously being a competent turner is an important factor but not necessarily the most important. There are some superbly talented turners that have trouble managing their own lives, much less an organization of upwards of fifteen thousand members.
Anyone that follows this forum knows by now how diverse, in talent, opinion, and expectation, our membership is. As such the board has to be able to at least try to balance these different views for the betterment of the AAW as a whole. If they cannot, then it is our responsibility to vote for someone else next time around.:)

No one denies that organizational skills are important but after a one page blurb i'm hardly qualified to judge those skills. The best I can assume is that all 6 are equally and satisfactorily skillrd. I would leave that to the electoral committee to determine that.

Bu the real question is what would the be organizing towards, and I seen very little of that other than sound bytes. I have almost no concept of their own artwork, not of any participation here in terms of the community at large. That information would help me just how closely they understood my own interests.

Marc,

This is my personal observation and opinion, their(nominees) organizational and people skills are most important. The size and scope of the AAW today makes these skills requisite for a board member. Obviously being a competent turner is an important factor but not necessarily the most important. There are some superbly talented turners that have trouble managing their own lives, much less an organization of upwards of fifteen thousand members.
Anyone that follows this forum knows by now how diverse, in talent, opinion, and expectation, our membership is. As such the board has to be able to at least try to balance these different views for the betterment of the AAW as a whole. If they cannot, then it is our responsibility to vote for someone else next time around.:)

Bu the real question is what would the be organizing towards, and I seen very little of that other than sound bytes. I have almost no concept of their own artwork, not of any participation here in terms of the community at large. That information would help me just how closely they understood my own interests.

My best suggestion is to look them up in the Resource Directory. Email them and ask if they have galleries or websites, many are long time members of different Chapters which most today have member galleries. I used Google to find a couple that I didn't know anything about. From there its up to you, I for one don't care what they turn. My focus is on what region they live in, it is preferable to me that as many of our geographic regions as possible are represented. That helps keep things diverse. Then it becomes a guessing game as to which will best represent the entire spectrum of the AAW, not just my own interest. Different strokes and all that.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heaven's I've already done enough research to get to where I am. Isn't that really one of the services the board should be providing to the membership?

My best suggestion is to look them up in the Resource Directory. Email them and ask if they have galleries or websites, many are long time members of different Chapters which most today have member galleries. I used Google to find a couple that I didn't know anything about. From there its up to you, I for one don't care what they turn. My focus is on what region they live in, it is preferable to me that as many of our geographic regions as possible are represented. That helps keep things diverse. Then it becomes a guessing game as to which will best represent the entire spectrum of the AAW, not just my own interest. Different strokes and all that.;)

Of course you could use the "MO Method". That is...Enie...Meanie...Minie.....:D

Of course you could use the "MO Method". That is...Enie...Meanie...Minie.....:D

I suspect that is the most common method. :eek::D

Heaven's I've already done enough research to get to where I am. Isn't that really one of the services the board should be providing to the membership?

No, that is our job.:)

Walter Tate AAW Membership Status

Marc,

either you looked it up wrong or this is another AAW problem area that needs to be addressed. I have been a member of the AAW since 1996. I suggest that you should have tried to contact me before spreading the word on the forum that I have only been a member for 1 year. Fortunately for me, one of my friends emailed me about your posting so I figured out how to get on-line to respond.

As far as not being active on the forums or posting pictures of my work, I plead guilty. If you think that's the most important characteristic for a candidate for the AAW Board of Directors then vote for someone else.

The AAW bylaws state that as a candidate for the board, I am not allowed to do any campaigning. My nomination statement and my picture are all I have. If I could, I would join the "can I have a ditto please?" forum and express my opinions about the AAW.

Rules for AAW Board of Directors Nominees

A prospective board member gets to produce a 300 word (maximum) profile that describes his or her qualifications for the board of directors. It's not possible for me to differentiate myself from the others in 300 words.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
The reason I was asking is that, unless I looked them up wrong one of the nominees, Walter Tate, joined only this year.

Marc, where did you find this information? I looked in the printed directory, the online membership in the Members Only section of the website, read the candidates statement pages, and searched other places I could think of but found no information as to join date by anyone.

Back