• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Can I repair conveyer belt on my old Performax 16-32?

The conveyer belt on my 30+ year old Performax broke recently. Actually, the glue failed where the ends of the belt was spliced together. It looks like the splice was created by some form of thin tape.

Has anyone repaired this? If so, How?

Looks like a new belt is about $35. I’d think that it’s probably under a bit of tension, so might be worth just replacing, just my $.02.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Belts don't last forever. Just replace it with a new one. If you don't re-glue it perfectly it won't track correctly. After that long you may be surprised to find out how much "grab" a new belt has

My belt on my 22/44 lasted 15 or so years, and I have another one. I would not trust my own gluing. You may be able to use a contact cement, which will flex as it goes over the rollers. Any glue that dries hard will break. I figured it was a lot easier to order a new one. One thing I want to do with my 22/44 is put a variable speed motor on it. I think the drum speed is way too high. On any bowl sanding, slower is better. If it eliminates those burn spots on the belts, it would be worth it.

robo hippy

Lots of issues discussed with aftermarket conveyor belts for these sanders. I've read that some try a couple aftermarket and have so much trouble getting it to track, they give up and order an OEM part. Google will turn up a lot of direct experience.

During the symposium I chatted with Klingspor, and they told me that they had a "new and improved" version in the works. They weren't sure how soon it will be available and would not discuss price. I don't use the sander very often so I think I will wait a while and see what their new version is like.

Back