• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

carving stand

As my feet continue to go to hell I suspect more of my woodworking may be tethered to a chair in the future. What carving and shaping I have done has been at benchtop height or above. I have had a Veritas carver's vise https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s&item=05G2001 for some time and it is a well made, versatile piece of kit but it has limited height adjustment and is not really stout enough for heavy mallet blows.

Looking around for height-adjustable heavy duty stand designs I found the European floor-mounted units used at the Geisler-Moroder school https://www.schnitzeisen.at/werkstat...d-schnitztisch but decided against taking up more floor space in my small shop. Chris Pye has a nice bench-mounted design in his book Elements of Woodcarving but its base design puts the work too high for a seated carver. Finally I came across the Pfeil stand which could be turned upside down for a wider range of working heights and decided to make a version of it https://www.pfeiltools.com/katalog/#page-60 with a hefty rotating ball vise.

For the adjustable height stand I cut up some 8/4 flatsawn hard maple into 3"+ rift and quartered slices and laminated them into a plank big enough for the slotted stand and shelf. DSC_1533.JPGDSC_1536.JPGDSC_1539.JPG I miterfolded the right angle section, then slotted it with a 12" sawblade for 1/8" splines 1/2" on center. Rather than rout the height adjustment slot 3" deep I dry-clamped two halves of the upright, bored end holes and bandsawed the slot before the final glueup. I countersunk the slot so the nut would not make the upright stand off from my bench apron. The shelf is secured to the stand with a length of 5/8" threaded rod bored into the end grain and both epoxied and nutted in a cross-hole bored in the face.

For the ball vise I made a stand of 1.4" thick laminated baltic birch plywood with lathe-turned clamping plates. The bowling ball was fitted with a piece of 1 1/4"-8 threaded rod and nut from McMaster Carr to accept standard faceplates. The rod is embedded 4" deep and epoxied into the ball.

The whole affair may be a bit overdone, but it is bomber and leverages the stability of my existing bench to make a versatile carving station that will hold up to heavy work. It is made for general carving but I thought that some of the turners here might find it useful, particularly the ball vise.

Last edited:
Back