• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CBN wheels: steel vs aluminum and 1 vs 1.5"

There are lots of threads on CBN, but I'm seeking opinions on a specific conundrum. I'm looking to purchase one 8" 180 grit CBN wheel for my 1hp grinder to replace the stock wheels that came with it. Based on local availability/delivery costs, I am intending to go with either a 1.5" wide steel wheel from Lee Valley (5.5lbs) or a 1" aluminum spartan wheel from Woodturners Wonders (<3lbs). I would purchase the latter from a retailer in Canada due to lower shipping costs, so the 1.5" spartan plus is not an option as they don't carry it. They can bring in the mega square or 4 in 1 from WW, but I'm not looking for a radiused edge or side grit. Both the options being considered would be the same total cost delivered. I have a local Lee Valley and they have a 90 satisfaction policy. The WW wheel would ship from another province and would not be returnable if I decide it is too narrow. So, should I prioritize the wider width but sacrifice on weight and the long-standing reputation of the WW wheels, or get the narrower WW wheel? Thanks for your help!

I personally bought my 1HP Rikon grinder with 1-1/2” wide CBN wheels from Wondturners Wonders with zero regrets! I believe WW also carries the radius wheels you are looking for. I went with the Mega wheels with square corners. WW offers CBN rods for hand sharpening. Get their Slick Stick to keep your CBN wheels in top shape. You can use it for other items too. I just bought one of their higher end LED lamps last week and had to have several phone calls for various reasons. I can’t say enough about this company. Jeff, the owner, has some of the best employees who answered all my questions! Give them a call if you have questions. I love Lee Valley, and have bought tons of products from them, but they fell short on several occasions with out of stock items - even after 2 years. Customer service is iffy at times.

Go for the wide wheels. I have never run off the edge of them, and that happened way too many times with the 1 inch wheels. As for aluminum vs steel, I don't think there is much difference other than weight. There were concerns that the plating might not hold on the aluminum wheels, but they have been out long enough that if there were issue, they would have surfaced long before now. I did try that slick stick, and didn't like it, other than on my bandsaw blades. Some sell hard aluminum oxide sticks, and they do work, I guess, but they put a lot of dust in the air. If you turn a lot of sloppy wet wood, then gunk does build up on the wheels. Most of the time, just sharpening a scraper can remove a lot of the gunk. You can also soak the wheel in a cleaner, like Simple Green, then use a scrub brush. I do use the Trend Lapping fluid as well. Seems to do about the same thing. One Canadian source is Cuttermaster, and they also make the Tradesman grinders, which are expensive, but variable speed. Not sure of the widths they make. Like Jay up above, I prefer the 1 hp grinders, from Rikon. You should be able to source that up in Canada, but not sure. I also have the Baldor grinder, which is 3/4 hp, but up to par with any other grinder I have ever seen, but they are expensive.

robo hippy

I have a 1" wide 180 grit CBN and a 1.5" wide 600 grit CBN on my grinder. Both are aluminum wheels. I don't see much difference between the two as far as running off the edge. Have to pay attention and sharpen correctly on either.

I am using a 1 inch and a 1 and 1/2 inch wide CBN wheels. Both are aluminum. While I find no fault with the 1 inch wide wheel, I WISH I had bought both wheels in the 1 and 1/2 width. See "Robo's" remarks above. I'm in total agreement with his assessment.

I have two 1" wheels, one aluminum 180# from the Woodturning Store and a 600# steel from Lee Valley. The aluminum one runs a little smoother but both are fine. I would favor aluminum for a low powered grinder and 180 for all around use. The 600 cuts plenty fast for frequent touchups but I have used the 180 for reshaping and including cooling off time is almost as fast as an 80# alox wheel. I have never had a problem running off the edges but I was used to using 3/4" wheels for a long time. All in all a huge improvement.

With a 1 hp grinder, you should have no problems with the steel wheel. Or 2 steel wheels. (assuming it really is 1 hp--some grinders have the hp rating set by the marketing department)

I was just in your local Lee Valley this afternoon.
I think you'd be fine with the 1.5 from Lee Valley, your grinder should perform just fine. if you aren't happy or find it doesn't spin up good, the return will be simple, then you could try the other.

Back