• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cedar Finish

I'm making some pillar candle holders for the family and would like to finish just the top with an oil finish. I'm afraid of capillary action wicking some of the finish down into the rough section of the cedar. Do you think that might happen and if so is there anything that can be done to stop it? Thanks for your help.cedar.jpg

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Looking at it I would just apply oil to the entire piece. Why not? It's not a surface finish so will soak in and add some tone to the entire piece. My opinion.

If you have a scrap piece of the cedar, carefully make a cut with a sharp knife right along the dividing line between the two textures and then carefully apply your oil up to the line. The line should help curtail the wicking and also give you a nice separation of the textures.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I'm making some pillar candle holders for the family and would like to finish just the top with an oil finish. I'm afraid of capillary action wicking some of the finish down into the rough section of the cedar. Do you think that might happen and if so is there anything that can be done to stop it? Thanks for your help.View attachment 42535
I agree with Randy, apply oil to the whole piece. The oil will enhance the turned section and will make the unturned section look more dramatic. Here's a piece of Cedar I turned off-center and then carved leaf-like surfaces - leaving the base area untouched. I used Watco oil on the entire turning and was happy with the look.

Attachments

• twist leaf 3a.jpg
    twist leaf 3a.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 28
Thinking of using Chestnuts Yorkshire Grit and Hampshire Sheen instead of oil. Want to see the rough natural finish compared to a modified top rather an a monochrome look.

Back