• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Celtic Knot Goblet

Thanks to Curt Fuller for the instructions. My first attempt and I was off on the glue line but decided to turn it anyway for practice. Primary wood is Maple with Osage Orange inserts.

Attachments

• celtic knot.jpg
    celtic knot.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 37
Website
www.myspace.com
Thats awsome, great job. I like the looks of the finished pen in the link as well. I wish there was more info around about celtic designs for turning. Definitely send them my way if you find some....hehehe. :cool2:

Later,
Gothyc Designs

Garmar,
Thanks for posting. I really like the contrast level between the two woods. It's not so stark as the usual maple and walnut combination.

By the way, is it pronounced Seltik, or Keltic. Have heard it both ways.

Gamar,

That is a wonderful job. You say that you made a mistake on a glue line, but it doesn't show in the photo.

BTW the correct pronunciation IS Kel-tic. Sel-tic is an Americanization usually referring to a basketball team. :)

Thanks K-Bob and K-John! So they were really the Boston Keltics.

Meanwhile I still like the contrast level in Gary's piece, and respect his admission that maybe one of the joints is imperfect. It's a very attractive turning, and will bet that the next one will be even better.

Nice looking goblet. I particularly like the symmetry of the upper and lower stem transitions. They always seem to look better that way, IMHO. BTW, what are the dimensions and finish?

You showed a view with two of the inserts mis-aligned, and you said you were "off on the glue line." Two possible sources of this anomaly: The blank shifted for one of the cuts; or your insert thickness didn't match the saw kerf. Which one?

Joe

Misalignment of the glue line was my problem, I have to devise a method of stabilizing the blank in the glueup phase. The Goblet is approx. 4" H x 1.5" circ. Thanks for the comments.

Website
www.myspace.com
How long does it take to cut and glue up this project? And what type glue are you using? Resin, Superglue, white or yellow Elmers glue?

Also, could the design get more complex if one were to try? Either way, still looks good.

Later,
Ray

Cutting and glue up are straight forward and I used Titebond yellow glue. Still working on a jig of sorts to assist in the glue up. I usually wait an hour or so for the glue to set before recutting and then let the finished glue up set over night before turning. Not a rule, just what I do. The MASTER of the Celtic Knot Goblet is Curt Fuller. He has the answers.

Neither instructional link is working for me. Is there something I'm missing.

Great goblet! I'd like to figure out how to adapt the technique to some of my own stuff.

Back