• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chad Anderson

Hi, I'm a retired college IT Instructor and now a full-time woodworker in the St. Paul area. I rent space a local Maker workshop but looking to move back into the garage once it's a little warmer. I never touched a lathe until last February, and then mainly turned handles and vases. When Glenn Lucas came to the Minnesota Woodturners Guild this past August, I took his bowl class, and turning bowls is all I've pretty much been doing since. I turned enough bowls for a local craft show, and did okay, so I think this is the direction I'd like to focus on. I currently turn on the shops JET 1236, but I have a REVO 1836 coming in the next week or two, and I'm greatly looking forward to turning on it. Some of my work is below, my bowls aren't perfect (some of my bowls have become lampshades) , I have a lot to learn still, but I'm really enjoying learning this art.
IMG_0321.jpg IMG_0325.jpg IMG_0381.jpg IMG_0399.jpg IMG_0401.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Chad. Thanks for sharing how you fell into the woodturning vortex. :) You certainly have been busy turning bowls and boxes. And we've all turned our share of funnels and lampshades. :D I think that you will really like your new lathe.

Chad,

Welcome aboard!

I purchased a Revo 1836 a few months ago and love it. When you get your new lathe, I think you will enjoy it too.

One thing you will learn on this site is the depth and breadth of knowledge of our members. Everyone is generous with their time and will answer any questions you may have. As you get more experienced you will become an extension of our network and soon be helping others. That's what makes this site successful. Everyone has something to contribute.

Jon

Hey, I've made a few lamp shades, too! Get yourself a depth gauge......and, use it! :D

(They are super easy to make)

Welcome, Chad

-----odie-----
View attachment 24194
Thanks Odie! Your depth gauges look great, I'll have to make a few. I've been using a pair of double ended calipers for measuring the thickness, but it only works on the bottom if I have a gap in the chuck so one side of the calipers can get in there and touch the underside of the recess. The "lamp shades & funnels" happen when I can't get it in there, so your gauges would work perfectly for those situations.

Back