• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Charlie Goldberg

Hello all, I've been using this forum for a couple months and I deeply appreciate all of the help and community that I've been able to find here. So thought I'd say hello and introduce myself.

I am a graphic designer by trade and work for a musical instrument company's in-house design team as an art director. Some of my design work can be seen here as well as some work I've done in the shop and with the lathe: www.charlesgoldberg.net
My father taught me how to use the lathe when I was about 13. I remember then being totally smitten. I was obsessed for about half a year or so and then something else shiny caught my youthful eye and I didn't revisit woodturning again until I bought a used delta 46-700 (same as what my dad had) on craigslist in 2020 as a pandemic hobby of sorts. I fell back in love and have been in the shop pretty religiously throughout the past few years learning new things and having fun. I got a contract installation gig recently that allowed me to make a lathe upgrade and someone in my local turning club (carolina mountain woodturners) had an old PM3520A that they were selling. So that's what I'm working with now and boy is it awesome.

I've done a lot of spindle work, small and larger scale, and have just recently gotten really interested in turning big green salad bowls from locally salvaged wood. I just love finishing up a bowl that so recently used to be a log and then making some popcorn and sitting down to watch a movie with it!

I live and work in Asheville, North Carolina with my wife, dog and cat. I love making stuff and cooking. Here are a couple of pictures I have on my computer that I can share of my work. My wife took these pictures for me - here is her website: https://www.bego-creative.com/ - if you're interested in any types of product photography or branding, graphic design, etc., she is open and available for freelance work : )

Attachments

• IMG_7490.jpeg
    IMG_7490.jpeg
    631.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7492.jpeg
    IMG_7492.jpeg
    630.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 6B5BD166-E1AD-451D-9BF7-7C9AD2C63CEF.JPG
    6B5BD166-E1AD-451D-9BF7-7C9AD2C63CEF.JPG
    569.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6864.JPG
    IMG_6864.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 19
Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Charlie, welcome to the forum! I’m in Chattanooga, so we’re neighbors. Those are some nice pieces you posted. That decorative wall is sweet!

Back