• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Charlie Olson

Hello Everyone - I’m just getting started with turning and very excited to have found this amazing forum. The experience and knowledge on display through the threads I’ve read is invaluable.

I was a technical director for theatrical productions in Chicago and DC for 10 years before changing careers a decade ago and moving my carpentry production into my basement shop. I’ve now taken the step into the vortex, acquired a starter Wen 8-12” midi lathe and took a couple intro classes In Baltimore to spindle work and tool sharpening. As I learn I’m involving my 7yo daughter and eventually my 4yo son in the process. So far making magic wands together and it’s been magical.

I’m planning on joining the local AAW club in Rockville, MD where I live soon, but haven’t been able to make it to a meeting yet. So it is amazing to have so much information and training available online, here and elsewhere.

Thanks for having me!

Attachments

• IMG_8759.jpeg
    IMG_8759.jpeg
    491 KB · Views: 9
Welcome, Charlie. This forum is a great source of information. The people here are helpful, friendly, and encouraging. You will learn a lot here.

My current lathe is a Wen with 14" swing. It's been a good beginner lathe.

I’ve already learned so much reading through the Tips forum and got so much inspiration from the Members Gallery. I must’ve scrolled through 5 years worth of amazing work from y’all

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hello Everyone - I’m just getting started with turning and very excited to have found this amazing forum. The experience and knowledge on display through the threads I’ve read is invaluable.

I was a technical director for theatrical productions in Chicago and DC for 10 years before changing careers a decade ago and moving my carpentry production into my basement shop. I’ve now taken the step into the vortex, acquired a starter Wen 8-12” midi lathe and took a couple intro classes In Baltimore to spindle work and tool sharpening. As I learn I’m involving my 7yo daughter and eventually my 4yo son in the process. So far making magic wands together and it’s been magical.

I’m planning on joining the local AAW club in Rockville, MD where I live soon, but haven’t been able to make it to a meeting yet. So it is amazing to have so much information and training available online, here and elsewhere.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome Charlie...... :)

I see you have found this place.

Ask questions, and read the information here.....you'll glean information that is sure to benefit you in you journey through the "vortex"!

-o-
keep on turnin'.jpg

Welcome to the form I am not new to Woodturning, but I am new to this form. I’ve been with the AAW for many years and it seems like a great place to get good information.

Back