• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cherry laurel

Has anyone had any luck turning Cherry Laurel?? Also known as Carolina Laurel Cherry( Prunus caroliniana) its in the same genus as black cherry, with which I've had good luck so far. The ones I've seen are mostly small, but occasionally I see one that is big enough for a small bowl. Anyone know the color of the wood compared with cherry? Any thougts suggestions on turning it?

Just recently cut one down in front of my shop (12" dia x 45' tall). Saved a goodly amount of it, 10" long chunks cut in half down the pith, and Anchorsealed. The cut and sealed chunks are not cracking (yet), but it loves to crack (a lot!!) when turned. It is a bit lighter than young Black Cherry wood, and it smells like a Cherry Coke when cut or turned. Good luck with yours (I would not actively pursue any more of it). Maybe it will be more stable after it dries some (??).
I cut it down because I am tired of all the suckers popping up all around the tree, and all of the berries on the ground. Also, it is not a good firewood as it "POPS!!" when burning.
Gil

thanks Gil. I don't actually have any in hand at this point. I just see them
around a lot. I would like to try it though. Do you usually cut logs in half lengthwise? Is that the way to go?

The cherry laurel that I have turned is a DARK red. It does crack a lot, so part turn asap and use the 50/50 dawn(blue only)/water solution to soak for a week or so. If you are not going to turn it immediately, don't cut it yet.

It seems to cut down on the cracking when I cut them lengthwise thru the pith, but it is not guaranteed to work on all species. Free wood is always worth a try for turning. I am going to let the rest of my Cherry Laurel set a spell, and see if it turns with less cracks later on.
Camphor Laurel is (for me) just the opposite, and I leave it in 4' to 6' logs, un-sealed, and cut off what I need. Sometimes it cracks a little at the log ends (and not when turning), but I do not loose enough to worry about. Plus, it is easy to find, and is considered an invasive species (but it smells GREAT!).
Luck...
Gil

Gil, That's interesting about the camphor. I've heard its a pest, but haven't come across any. Where do you find it?

I reckon Camphor grows in SW Georgia, but I have not seen any around here (yet). I get it in Florida, mostly in the Tallahassee area. The older it is, the darker, and more interesting the color and grain seem to be. I love the camphor smell when turning it!! It does not crack much at all, and I usually turn it green from start to finish with no troubles. This picture is of Camphor hollow forms.
Gil

Attachments

• Camphor Hollow Form 1_2.jpg
    Camphor Hollow Form 1_2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 144
That looks real nice Gil. Looking at all the work on this site
gives a beginner something to shoot for, but is also a bit
intimidating.

Thanks. Flush and ignore the intimidated thoughts, and just practice as much as you can. My method of self-taught woodturning was to read turning books, practice making some of the turnings pictured in the books (or videos), and repeat that until I was able to start making work of my own. A week at a turning school would also be very helpful (maybe someday).
Gil

Back