• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chip Barrier?

KEW

I am reworking my shop (electric, DC, Layout, etc.). I'm putting my PM3520B near a corner at a 45 degree angle to the walls. There are two metal shelving units which will be behind me (one on each wall). I need to put up a barrier to keep the chips from going into the shelves.
Please share your ideas on ways to keep the shelves reasonable accessible, but block the chips?
Thanks!

I hang a tarp, suspended on cable around the lathe like a shower curtain. It has worked really well keeping the chips from flying all around the garage. At the end of the day, just shovel the pile at my feet and that's it.

A clear shower curtain works well for me because it doesn't block or absorb any light.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I haven't done it yet but I'm planning on putting up some kind of bamboo curtain or other roll up shade that will let the air get in. My shop get's very hot in the summer and I don't think shower curtains are the way to go. I need to block the thrown shavings from getting all over the shop, or at least limit their direction.

KEW

Thanks.
The clear shower curtain is my immediate plan. I was wondering how much static electricity the plastic curtain might have.
I'd thought of using the roll up venetian blind, but like being able to see what is on the shelves.

I use heavier "visqueen" plastic (vapor barrier at the borg) with press-on gromet/hangers and small weights (washers) taped on the bottom so it hangs straight. With this stuff I can make the curtain floor-to-ceiling which both stops the chips and helps control the dust.

Heavy-weight clear visqueen is on my list for when/if I ever get my sliding-block-puzzle of a shop organized. Strips about 2 feet wide with about 6 inches overlap will allow both visibility and access to the shelves. For now, I have loose sheets of visqueen draped over critical areas; and at the others, well, I just let the chips fall where they may. (Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation.)

Joe

Another Idea

Kurt,

A friend of mine in Eastern Tenn. has a hospital curtain track mounted in his shop. He got it from a surplus outfit. It works like a champ.

Clayton

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Shop clean up

I hang a tarp, suspended on cable around the lathe like a shower curtain. It has worked really well keeping the chips from flying all around the garage. At the end of the day, just shovel the pile at my feet and that's it.

Martin......

Your post reminded me that I wanted to make the following comment on this forum:

For untold years, I've been cleaning up my shop the old fashioned way.....with a broom and dustpan. It works, but I've been "spinning my wheels"!

For the first time, a couple of months ago, I finally got some smarts.......

I used a garden rake to put the chips in a pile, and a snow shovel to put them in a garbage can......turned a 20min job into a 2min job!!!!!

Now.......I feel kinda dumb for not thinking of this long before now...:eek:...:mad:

otis of cologne

Back