• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chip Nieman

I appreciate the opportunity to collaborate and share ideas on wood turning. I am a custom pool cue maker and recently decided to start turning by hand again. I haven't turned anything with a chisel since high school (35+ years ago) and I have become a little obsessed with my new found hobby. I purchased a Powermatic 3520C lathe about 6 months ago along with some starter chisels and brushed up on my skills. I am trying to get more proficient at sharpening before investing in better tooling. I have been using my lathe as a means of therapy and stress relief and it is working perfectly. I chuck up a log with a bowl inside it and cut until I find it and kind of get lost in search. Kind of a long winded introduction, sorry, but I am really looking forward to learning from everyone and hopefully, as I sharpen my skills, contribute some pearls of wisdom of my own.

Welcome to the forum and the Wonderful World of Woodturning. You understand the idea behind turning wood. Turn off anything that doesn't look like a bowl! Or a hollow form. Or a pen blank.

Back