• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck Adapter Solutions?

Hello all! I'm a beginning turner, retired/unemployed/poor, and I've been given an old (Sears?) 4-jaw chuck that fits a 1/2" 20 headstock. I have a Rockwell/Beaver lathe with a 7/8" 14 thread, and an adapter to use 1" 8 accessories. I can't afford a different chuck ATM, so I'd like to adapt the 1/2" chuck. Drilling and re-tapping the chuck would cost ~$150, and I've been looking for adapters for weeks with no luck. I've tried bolting the chuck to a faceplate, but it's too sloppy. Any ideas? I'm stuck. Thanks in advance!

What a bargain! He'll machine an adapter custom for $60. Compared to the 1-hour minimum/$150 I found locally for retapping the chuck, that's an awesome price. Still too much for me right now, but maybe soon.

Website
michaeljedelman.com
Is that a machinist’s chuck? They’re not great for woodworking. They don’t self-center and you can’t really grip wood as securely as with a wood chuck. Consider just using a faceplate and glue blocks. That’s what turners used to do, and what I (and many others) did when we started out.

Is that a machinist’s chuck? They’re not great for woodworking. They don’t self-center and you can’t really grip wood as securely as with a wood chuck. Consider just using a faceplate and glue blocks. That’s what turners used to do, and what I (and many others) did when we started out.
It was supposedly an accessory for an old Power Companion (?) wood lathe from the '50s. Who knows! You're right tho, it doesn't grip very well. I had assumed that no older chucks were self centering, and that any 4-jaw chuck was for woodworking. Anyway, I mentioned in another post that I'm going to wait and buy a better, vintage chuck that actually fits my lathe. I'll look up using glue blocks. Thanks!

For $60 you can almost buy a used chuck or chinese chuck for midi / mini lathes that would have the 1" 8tpi that you already have an adapter for. I have a nova "midi chuck" that is a direct thread to 1" 8tpi that actually works really well and I got for cheap. Tommy bars aren't so terrible a thing once you get used to using them a few times. There are also plenty of chinese chucks available on amazon for that price range. I was skeptical and haven't tried myself, but I see plenty of people asking questions and posting reviews about them, so they are getting used. Maybe there is a gem in the rough if you find the right one.

Back