• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck Center Finder

It's probably been done before, but I made this today to find the center of a piece while it's still on the chuck. I used the chuck adapter for the live center which has a fairly long 3/4" internal thread. Turned a dowel just big enough to fit within the threads and put a nail in the center of the end.
20200822_1558171.jpg
20200822_1558271.jpg

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
This would only be helpful if you forgot to make a center divot when forming your recess or tenon. ;)
I've never done that. :rolleyes:

Or if you inherit a project that has no center point ;).

Only if it has a tenon to mount chuck. I use this idea to mount face plate on center. Place the devise in face plate and stick it thru the faceplate into the premarked center (or mounting point) on the blank and put the screws in.

The simple and accurate method that I use is a 3/8" steel rod with a 60 degree point that has a cutting edge formed by a flat across the point.
The rod does not fit tight but when pushed into the tenon wile turning will form an accurate center point.

It's probably been done before, but I made this today to find the center of a piece while it's still on the chuck. I used the chuck adapter for the live center which has a fairly long 3/4" internal thread. Turned a dowel just big enough to fit within the threads and put a nail in the center of the end.
View attachment 34725
View attachment 34726
Works great for a face plate to hold it in place while inserting screws.

I made one with a small rod that slides in the wooden plug. The important part is turning the wooden plug so it fits snuggly. That way I can use it to locate the faceplate on the center mark of a rough blank. It's also useful for marking a center point on bowl bottoms while still mounted on the chuck should I forget to make a mark. Like that's ever happened.

IMG_2671.JPG

Back