• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck Jaws. What size

I haven't seen much in what size chuck jaws should be used with blank size. Is there a standard? As an example for a 20" blank what size jaws and what size chuck are required?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Dont know a definitive answer. Depends a little on what your doing to the blank as well as its size. For years I only had one chuck with 2" jaws. I turned everything with it. Now I have almost all sizes of jaws Vicmarc sells and use them all. Ideally you should use larger jaws for larger pieces but in reality that means larger tenons or recesses. I have seen size recommendations in chuck owners manuals but it's been too long to remember where.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It depends somewhat on what you are making, but I don't want the chuck body nor jaws to influence the design. I also don't want it to restrict my access on the headstock side of the piece. So unless I need large jaws to hold a large piece of wood I normally use a Oneway Talon with #2 jaws or Vicmarc VM100 with standard jaws.

A 20" blank is really large so I would consider the Oneway Stronghold with #3 or #4 jaws or the Vicmarc VM120 with 148 mm jaws.

I use Vicmarc and PSI chucks—for me jaw size is pretty much determined by what I think the bottom will be. Choice is pretty much wide open as long as there is is good support and balance.

I have a (Super)Nova with all the jaws on my larger lathe (will soon upgrade the Nova, though). My most frequently used jaws on the larger lathe are the #2. I think up to 16", I'm pretty comfortable using the #2 jaws. For something larger than 16" diameter, I'd go to the 100mm jaws.

My second-most used jaws are the smaller jaws (pin-like jaws) for boxes.

Not counting "reverse chucking" uses--e.g. Cole jaws or similar.

Back