• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck Teague

Hello Fellow Woodturners, I have just joined the forum and am happy to be a part of the organization. I hail from Zionsville, Indiana and have been a woodworker/woodturner for thirty years. I actually began turning wood about twenty years starting when I spent time in England. I took lessons from some really good woodturners and it help me get my skills in order. About a year ago, I built a new shop and properly setup my lathe and I have been working on my skills and making some projects for family and friends. My wife really appreciates that I can produce turnings that she can use for gifts for her friends. So if I spend a little money ( or a lot of money) on my hobby, I usually can get a way with it.

At this time, I am working on trying to figure out what aspect of woodturning projects I am most interested in making. My interest seem to keep coming back to making toys. I can make bowls and vases, but toys seem to be something I am interested in exploring. It is always a winner with the families that have small children.

Chuck,

There are an endless number of toys you can turn on a wood lathe, Spinning Tops are at the top of the list you can turn these quickly or make them a work of art with different types of wood and inlays. Yoyos are another popular toy to turn on the lathe, Ed Davidson is a member of the forum he turns works of art with the Yoyos he crafts. Kendama toys are another popular toy to turn on the wood lathe. Wood turned whistles are another popular toy to turn on the lathe. Each of these toys will develop different turning skill sets over time, each one will require a planned work process to craft each toy in an efficient, safe and methodical manor. Enjoy your time crafting these new items.

Back