• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck Van Dyck

hi all. i'm a woodworker based out of brooklyn, ny. i work in a shared shop with a laguna revo 18|36 and own a jet 1221vs of my own.

i really enjoy making simple three legged stools and turning vases with scrap left around the shop. i recently bought an electric chainsaw and have started harvesting storm damage around brooklyn. i've only turned one green wood bowl but i am already in love with the way it turns as well as how effortlessly it can be worked by hand with gouges and knives.

i look forward to continuing to wandering down the path of the woodturner and learning/contributing to this resource!

Attachments

• tempImageb4IpZq.png
    tempImageb4IpZq.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 6375258E-EBDC-4A8E-A9FE-9FF8C117F938.jpeg
    6375258E-EBDC-4A8E-A9FE-9FF8C117F938.jpeg
    505.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 636301DA-B4D8-4BDD-A73D-F56BD49D8D46.jpeg
    636301DA-B4D8-4BDD-A73D-F56BD49D8D46.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hey - nice to meet you! I'm Dan, and I also happen to be a woodturner from Brooklyn. I just moved here in April from Boston and recently joined the Big Apple Woodturners.

I'm into turning green wood, with my most recent interest being hollow vessels. I just got back from a weekend class with David Ellsworth at his studio in North Carolina - it was amazing seeing a true master of green turning at work.

I have a Laguna 1836 in Rhode Island and as of right now plan to work out of Makeville studio where they have a Jet with a 16 inch swing. Does your wood shop rent time to other turners? I'd be very intersted if they do!

Anyway - I'm @dancwoodturning if you're on instagram, would love to follow you back.

Nice to meet ya, Dan! Welcome to Brooklyn.

Very cool you got a class in with David Ellsworth. I'd love to pick your brain about it sometime and would love a recommendation on some starter tools for hollowing. We have a forge at the shop and I'd like to make some soon.

Makesville is a cool spot. I took my one and only turning class there a couple years ago from Alan Dorsey. Just a basic spindle turning class, but enough to get me confident to shove a piece of sharp steel into a quickly spinning chunk of wood. We don't rent by the hour like Makesville, but there may be some openings for a monthly fee. Let me know if interested and I'll put you in touch with the person in charge.

What part of Brooklyn are you in?

Back