• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CJ Lagan

Hi, I am C.J. Lagan, and I am a new member.

At the moment I don’t have a lot of practical experience with turning, although I have been a woodworker for 20 years. I also enjoy messing around in my shop, and I’ve attached an image of it from a few minutes ago. I did not clean it up, I just figured it might be more interesting in a candid shot. In general, my wife Trudy and I live in Red Bank, NJ. No kids, but four cats.

Most of the Jet stuff in my shop (image attached), the joiner, back dust collector, far grinder, and my lathe were bought new. I am not crazy about the CNC router, and although I have used it, I am waiting for a project where it makes sense to fire it up. The three pieces on the right were hand-me-downs. I got the Delta drill press from a factory I worked at in Trenton, NJ, when it was shut down, unfortunately. Also unfortunate are the Grizzly band saw and DeWalt radial arm saw that I inherited from my deceased Uncle, Jack Perretti, who lived in Winsted, Connecticut. I rebuilt both the machines, because my uncle was an avid woodworker, and both machines had a lot of miles on them. He was in large part the reason I became handy with tools. He died in a fall at home, unfortunately. BUT, now my wife Trudy and I care for his cat, Hannah. She’s probably 15 years old, and she still comes down to my shop to inspect things, and nothing scares her, not even being vacuumed to get the shop dust off of her fur. I attached an image of Hannah checking out the lathe stand I was building.

Lastly, I attached an image of my lightly used lathe. I assembled the set up a few weeks ago, and I learned how to shape and sharpen turning chisels with my dry and wet grinder recently. It is shoe-horned in the corner because my shop is reaching maximum density.

Happy turning.

Regards,

c.j.

Attachments

• Shop, 10 Aug 21.jpg
    Shop, 10 Aug 21.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 25
  • Hannah, 31 May 21.jpg
    Hannah, 31 May 21.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Lathe Stand, 10 Aug 21.jpg
    Lathe Stand, 10 Aug 21.jpg