• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Clark Champion

Hello Woodturners.

My first turning project was a gear shift knob for my 1938 Dodge coupe in about 1962. Many years later I was inspired by a demo in the park in Honolulu (by Jerry Kermode) and purchased my first lathe while living on Maui. Twenty-five years on Maui has definitely influenced my work and my choice of materials. In those days, my turning was constantly interrupted by work.

I’m now retired, living in Bellingham, WA and working on my third lathe, a General International, 16” x 42” with a Vicmarc outboard attachment. (This lathe may soon be for sale as I am looking for a large Oneway or an American Beauty). I’m now turning mostly bowls and larger trays. My shop is about 90% of a two-car garage and it is crowded to the point that it’s difficult to attempt larger projects. I have been an off-and-on member of AAW for about ten years, and I greatly appreciate all of the shared information and expertise.

Woodturning is such a great way to enjoy retirement and I get to share it with our grandkids and great grandkids.Hawaiian Calabash #2, Curley Maple.jpgHawaiian Calabash #2, Curley Maple.jpgCocoon with 3 Redwood Butterfly patches.JPGNatural Edge Spalted Alder.jpgHawaiian Milo Wood - Sister Bowls.JPGSpalted Alder burl, Hollow Form.jpgChampion Woodworks.jpg

Back