• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cleaned my lathe area.

I don't think I could stand that. If the chips around my feet get more than about 4" deep I have to stop and clean up. Drives me crazy. For me, that's usually around a 35 Gallon trash can full.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I almost always clean up after each bowl. Can't work in the mess and pile around my feet when starting a new one. Shovel into wheel barrow then haul out like you did to the back of the property and cover low spots, trails and ruts in my path. My shop has overhead doors on each end so I then get at one end, depending on wind direction, and use my blower to get all the dust and small shavings out.

I've been rough turning the ash and walnut trees that I took down over the fall/winter. A half day's work will fill three garbage cans. It's all going on the flower beds, but I could dump it out at the back of the property as well.

I've been rough turning the ash and walnut trees that I took down over the fall/winter. A half day's work will fill three garbage cans. It's all going on the flower beds, but I could dump it out at the back of the property as well.

If you dump the walnut shavings on on your flower beds, you'll likely harm if not kill the flowers.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Walnut is toxic to just about everything.

robo hippy
Many years ago I used my shavings to mulch some young plants in a section of my vegetable garden. I thought.....isn't that colorful :) (I used to turn a lot of exotics). They all wilted and died within a few days.:mad:

Last edited:
Walnut is toxic to just about everything.

robo hippy

About the only flowering plant I've seen survive beneath a walnut tree were some day lilies at my previous house, planted by the previous owner. They weren't happy or as vigorous as day lilies usually are, but they did survive.

every few days, I shovel the shavings up into 30 gallon drums and tote them off to various places for fill, mulch, etc. Black Walnut shavings go where I don't want plants growing. If the lathe area is super clean, it calls me to turn some more. I would like to spend more time turning and less cleaning. I have a 35 gallon shop vac and use that for the stuff the shovel and broom miss. But I get tired of cleaning out the shop vac. and brushing the dust out of the filter folds. When I was a kid, my dad knew an Amish turner who just opened the rear doors of the shop and used compressed air to blow the shavings out the back doors, which were about 4 foot above the ground Folks would come from all around to get shavings.

Back