• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cleaning finish off of chuck jaws

I have been in production mode getting Christmas presents ready. I may spray eight coats of rattle can finish in a day. Although I try hard not to spray the chuck or jaws there is some overspray. I tried a piece of cardboard with a hole cut in it to slide over the jaws but it kept bouncing around and hitting the product as the lathe turned.

What is the best way to remove spray finish from the chuck jaws? I thought of soaking them in Acetone but I don't know if completely dried finish would be desolved.

Thanks in Advance

We need to know what rattle can finish you use. Lacquer thinner dissolves just about anything. Put them in a jar with a lid and let it soak for a couple days.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I regularly wipe mine down with bit of Tried & True original finish (linseed oil & beeswax) - nothing much sticks to it (except dust if it is still uncured) so if I get some overspray, let it dry and wipe it off. probably could get same results with some paste wax polish, etc I would think. as an alternative, visit a lawnmower shop and pick up a spray can of Mo-Deck or Sno-Jet or an ATV shop for some Mud-Slide (all 3 brands from mo-deck.com, I see available on amazon) - it's a slick polymer spray that builds up over time and nothing (not even dust) sticks to it.. although it does take some time and multiple applications for optimum effectiveness.. I still use my leftover stash (from my old lawnmower shop) on garden shovels, the tractor's front loader bucket (for snowplowing in winter) among many other uses.

Back