• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Colorply.......(photo)

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
IMG_3811.JPG

Just thought I'd mention this "colorply" wood to the new turners, and anyone else who want to make something from really super easy wood to get a nice clean cut. I've never turned any of this before, and was amazed at how easily it turned. This would be an ideal wood for learning some basics. It's a man-made plywood imported from Italy in block form. Run a search on Google, or Ebay, and you will see it for sale.

This particular color combination is called "ebony swirl colorply".

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
COLORPLY® is produced by first selecting high quality Obeche logs from managed forests in Africa. Once harvested, the trees are rotary peeled and clipped into 25'' veneer leaves. They are then dried and stacked in preparation for dyeing.
Dyeing is the key to the remarkable color consistency in COLORPLY®. The stacked veneers are submerged in a heated, pressurized vat which contains a water soluble dye. Once the dye has completely penetrated the veneer leaves, they are removed and dried. The veneer is now ready for gluing.
Adhesive is layered between each leaf of veneer to create a stack. The stack is then laminated in a high pressure press to form a large rectangular block. The block is then sawn into slabs of COLORPLY® lumber.

View attachment 25374

Just thought I'd mention this "colorply" wood to the new turners, and anyone else who want to make something from really super easy wood to get a nice clean cut. I've never turned any of this before, and was amazed at how easily it turned. This would be an ideal wood for learning some basics. It's a man-made plywood imported from Italy in block form. Run a search on Google, or Ebay, and you will see it for sale.

-----odie-----
Hey Odie All plywood is manmade so I will add the color is added as you so well described in the next post. It amazes me how well the color penetrates the wood. I have some pen blanks I bought I think it was $10 for 20 but I rarely make pens so someday will try it. That bowl does look nice.

odie

TOTW Team
Hey Odie All plywood is manmade so I will add the color is added as you so well described in the next post. It amazes me how well the color penetrates the wood. I have some pen blanks I bought I think it was $10 for 20 but I rarely make pens so someday will try it. That bowl does look nice.
Not my description, Gerald......I cut and paste it from the listing on Ebay..... :D

-----odie-----

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yes it is fun. The club in Nashville buys cutoffs from a gunstock company. We buy it by the pound. It's really odd shaped but I've been able to make some mirrors and boxes and pens out of it. Just made these this week to donate to our club for our charity fund raiser.

Attachments

• pens.jpg
    pens.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 25
I have had some blocks of this for 15 or more years. First blocks were made from poplar. It does turn easily... Not cheap though, but it has been a while...

robo hippy

I had no idea that this stuff existed. It looks outstanding! Once I get going I intend to get some and use it for learning...(since it seems to be so easy to turn..)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
There was a guy selling whole boards and would even custom color the stuff for you. He was at the Ohio Symposium a bunch of years ago. I got his card but lost it somewhere in my moves. If anyone knows who this is I would like to see about buying some for custom mirrors.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
View attachment 25374

-----odie-----
That's very nice looking Odie! Good tip. Aloha.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I had no idea that this stuff existed. It looks outstanding! Once I get going I intend to get some and use it for learning...(since it seems to be so easy to turn..)
Same here, didnt know about this... I can blame my isolation in the middle of the Pacific...

Back