• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Common sense

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I liked the stop bar that Vicmarc uses on some of their lathes, so I made my own version for my 3520C:

I admire those who use initiative to modify their tools and equipment to make the turning experience better. A stop bar that activates by the hip or leg, wouldn't work for me, but if it works for you, that's outstanding. I am leaning on my lathe extensively, because it's better for my back issues, so I'd always be unintentionally stopping the lathe. Like others here, I find the common placement of the power switch on the headstock to be in a bad place, when considering the related safety issues. My solution was to move the power switch over to the tailstock end of the lathe.

More recent lathes, like your 3520c with a magnetic control box that can be positioned anywhere, is the best solution for the most applications.

-o-

Shop April 2016 (2) - Copy.JPG

Anyone know if it might damage the inverter or other electronics on a 110v 1642 by using a foot switch to kill the lathe while turning? Adding a simple foot switch to the power feed seems like a reasonable way to shut er down without reaching across, and could be magnetically mounted anywhere. Is that what I’m seeing on the Nova with the big red stop sign?

I put the same setup as the nova on my laguna and it hasn't caused any problems so far. It's been on there for two years and I've used it probably 6 to 10 times. I had it on my old delta before that. I think it's a necessary modification to any lathe that doesn't have two locations to turn it off unless you have one that has the moveable control box.

Does anyone know if there is a way to have a remote on/off switch for the tailstock side of a Nova DVR XP 2013 vintage?
Nova had a remote that was available, but seems to have been discontinued, I don't think it was very user friendly. I have a nova saturn which is similar? The control panel is connected through a ribbon cable. I've thought about getting a longer ribbon cable to see if it's possible to relocate the control panel to the tailstock end.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Anyone know if it might damage the inverter or other electronics on a 110v 1642 by using a foot switch to kill the lathe while turning? Adding a simple foot switch to the power feed seems like a reasonable way to shut er down without reaching across, and could be magnetically mounted anywhere. Is that what I’m seeing on the Nova with the big red stop sign?
I added remote to my Jet 1642 and my PM 3520 by simply relocating the entire control panel. What I did is written up here (not the best writeup, but should point you in the general direction).
Since the control panel (on/off, speed, and fwd/reverse) is a separate unit screwed into the headstock, I took it out, put it in a box, and added about 10' of cable so I can put the entire set of controls wherever I want. It's all low voltage (about 5 volts) andnot too complicated to do. Well worth it for me to have not just on/off but speed control too where I need it
A similar thing is probably possible for any VFD-controlled machine, but the Jet and PM are easy since the controls are all on their own panel to begin with.

Last edited:
I'm just catching up with this thread. @Matt Miller , I assume you are asking about my Nova 1624 lathe, which runs on 120V, but has the DVR upgrade motor and electronics (I posted a picture earlier). I did interpose a simple paddle switch on the power cord--the lath plugs in to one end and the other end plugs into the power receptacle. The switch is a Rockler item. The DVR system is not an inverter (or VFD). I have activated this STOP switch at least a dozen times (mostly by accident), with no apparent harm to the DVR unit. That said I don't make a habit of routinely shutting down this way, and would not recommend it. I don't know if frequently killing the power to the controller will eventually harm it, but I don't want to do the experiment. :) By the way when power is restored to the DVR unit the motor itself remains off, until re-started at the controller.

Seems like you should be able to cut power to these electronics without harm but it’s good to hear that from those who’ve done it.

I think Dave Landers post about moving the control panel is the ticket for the 1642 and the like, great update for safety and convenience.

Another important subject that was brought up in the salad bowl finishes thread is spontaneous combustion. Keep or dispose your oily rags properly to avoid fire. It’s a real thing and it happens too often.

I think the most proper rule is to wet them and toss them into a covered metal can. I see some guys keeping a small rag in the can or jar with the oil to use over and over, and some will leave them hanging flat to dry. I’d be real careful about this last one, seems they could wind up in a wad somewhere.

Whatever you do, pay attention and don’t toss them in a corner or in the trash.

I hang them up on a drying rack or put them in the woodstove. You definitely don't want to leave them in a bunch or where the wind can make them into a pile. I don't feature the water-filled can method as that just turns good water into hazardous waste, but that is considered the safest method in industry. My friend almost lost his shop from a wad of Watco soaked rags- he saw them glowing on his tablesaw, picked them up and flung them out the door where they burst into flames.

Back