• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Considering a Vega 2600

Greetings,
Does anyone in the greater Atlanta Region own one that would be willing to speak with me and perhaps allow me to visit and look at the lathe?
Jeff Weigant
Jeffw55@comcast.net
404-242-7278
I live in the north Altanta area.
Thanks
Jeff

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
See if you can contact Mark Kauder in Phoenix City, Ala. I believe he has one hand has written a review of it. He's only an hour from Atlanta. It's a pretty sweet machine if bowl or hollow vessel is your thing.

bowls and platters for sure, hollow forms im not sure about, is there an easily accessible steady rest?

Just a thought, the mustard will do everything and more the vega will.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Just a thought, the mustard will do everything and more the vega will.

Yes and no. I have been using a Vega for four years now. I often get calls from people around the country asking about it because I featured it in one of my videos, and because I am a reference for Randy at Vega. I am not a yes man for him either, but rather speak the truth. No one needs to sell someone a lathe they won't be happy with.

The Vega is a great lathe for bowls and hollow forms. It is fantastic for those people with limited room in their shop. It is powerful, sturdy, and has excellent customer service behind it. It has a larger swing than the Powermatic between centers. The speed control is mounted on a movable pendant. Those are the good points.

There aren't really any bad points to the lathe, but there are some shortcomings. It won't turn spindles longer than 17", unless you get the new bed extension. That doubles the length if I recall correctly, but I have no experience with the new one. I have an older one which does fine for holding captured hollowing rigs, but does not have a tailstock option.

It is slow compared to some other lathes. The top end is a little more than 2000 rpm. That is plenty of speed for bowls and hollow forms, but it is way too slow for small spindles. You don't really want this lathe for turning pens and bottle stoppers. But it wasn't designed for that. It was designed to turn bowls up to 26" in diameter, and it does that very well. So to say that another lathe will do more isn't necessarily accurate. It will do some things better and some things not as well. There are times when someone has called me and I have told them they should buy a different lathe. But lots of times this lathe is exactly what the person is looking for. And as the OP intends, spending time on a machine like this is extremely important. It is a much better indicator of how one will like and use a machine that all of our opinions combined.

Website
www.mich-art.com
There aren't really any bad points to the lathe, but there are some shortcomings. It won't turn spindles longer than 17", unless you get the new bed extension. That doubles the length if I recall correctly, but I have no experience with the new one. I have an older one which does fine for holding captured hollowing rigs, but does not have a tailstock option.

Can't use the tailstock with the bed extension on the new ones. I was looking to replace a lathe for turning larger bowls and platters and ran across this a few months back.

not in your area, but ...

I'd be happy to talk or message back and forth.

I bought the Vega 2600 after looking at the 3520 and the DVR. Both of those are great machines, too, but I wanted another lathe only for bowls and my shop space is at a premium. I had seen Bill's in his shop and spoke to him at some length before deciding on the Vega. I've not regretted my decision for a minute. It's built like a tank, has a great motor and controller and I love being able to look the bowl right in the eye while hollowing out the inside.

I don't have the bed extension. I don't think it was available when I bought mine. So far, I've had no use for one.

Back