• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cored Bowl Blanks

Website
www.tonyperelli.org
Im interested in purchasing a few large cored and dried bowl blanks from US hardwoods. I know Mike Mahoney occasionally sells these and Alexander Designs too, neither have anything available at the moment. Nice walnut, maple, cherry, koa would all be a treat to turn. Large, like big salad bowl, 14" or so??
Are there other sources for these? Living in Alaska my choice of hardwoods is limited and buying cored/dried saves on shipping and feels like a safer bet for checking etc.
Thanks for any help!

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I believe there are some specialty sites that do bowl blanks - Cook Woods, C.R. Muterspaw, Bell Forest Products to name three that come to mind I have gotten turning blanks from Bell and Muterspaw (I got a lumber pack of 12/4 black walnut from Muterspaw, and cut out a couple squares and turned bowls from them, the rest of the lumber was for a project, but they do also have bowl blanks)

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I haven’t bought from them, but Kirk DeHeer and his son run A Cut Above Bowl Co. and they sell a lot of really nice looking nested blank sets and individual bowls. I’m sure they’re top quality.

Website
www.tonyperelli.org
I haven’t bought from them, but Kirk DeHeer and his son run A Cut Above Bowl Co. and they sell a lot of really nice looking nested blank sets and individual bowls. I’m sure they’re top quality.

Great thanks Michael - I knew there were more options but couldn't find them. Thanks!

Just an update to this thread-Scott Alexander has been really posting a lot of great kiln-dried cores in the woods listed above common to his region of Pennsylvania, including some really huge ones, nested sets, etc. I order a few from him on occasion. They are reasonably priced, perfectly dry to turn, and shipped fast and secured (and he generally tosses in a smaller freebie). Some of my best large bowls have come from Scott's cores, and he is a super-nice guy to deal with. Highly recommended!

Cored Bowl Blanks from AlexanderDesigns

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update to this thread-Scott Alexander has been really posting a lot of great kiln-dried cores in the woods listed above common to his region of Pennsylvania, including some really huge ones, nested sets, etc. I order a few from him on occasion. They are reasonably priced, perfectly dry to turn, and shipped fast and secured (and he generally tosses in a smaller freebie). Some of my best large bowls have come from Scott's cores, and he is a super-nice guy to deal with. Highly recommended!
https://alexanderdesigns.us/collections/bowl-blanks
Link failed

I’m not sure I understand the fun when someone else has turned the blank for you. Doesn’t it kind of limit what you can turn?

Michael—link works—thanks.

Back