• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Correction to safety stand article in Winter AW

DMcIvor

AAW Staff
Website
www.mcivorwoodworks.com
I just spent an hour this morning attempting to assemble the safety stand described on pages 64-65 of the winter issue of American Woodturner.

As illustrated, the instructions in step one indicate assembling the stand from the center of the threaded rods, working outward. The stand elements are shown centered on the rod, starting 11" in from either end of the rods.

Studying the illustration of the complete stand assembly process depicted above step 1, one sees that there are three pieces of ply to one side of "center," and four to the other. Attempting to center the assembly on the rod therefore will not work, as you will end up with excess rod on one end and too little rod to complete the project on the other.

The better assembly method is to start from one end and assemble towards the other. This also negates issues which may arise from cutting the threaded rod to slightly different lengths.

Otherwise, I ended up with a solid little stand that I look forward to putting to use tomorrow.

Thanks for this timely information. I was reading this article this afternoon and was questioning the assembly procedure. I have most everything I need to make this safety stand. I am planning to make it one day next week but something just didn't look right about the way they said to assemble it. Hopefully this will save me some time and not leave me scratching my head.

Happy Turning

GA Darling

Back