• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cory Newman

Greetings all,

Noobie here, I did some turning back in shop class and bought a lathe about 25 years ago when I was on a Windsor chair kick. Turned 3 legs and life got in the way. Lathe has sat idle most of the time since, only turning the occasional spindle. Been interested in turning some bowls for a long time, neighbor has gotten into turning so I had him walk me through my first bowl.

It seems I'm hooked. So I joined the AAW and the local chapter. Going to try turning some small bowls for while (I don't have a large lathe) and see where this slippery slope leads me. Below is my first bowl, about a 12 inch one made of walnut.

BB6F1AFF-3E54-43C8-84BC-607966220D23.jpeg

Cory

Greetings all,

Noobie here, did some turning back in shop class, bought a lathe about 25 years ago when I was on a Windsor chair kick. Turned 3 legs and life got in the way. Lathe has sat idle most of the time since, only turning the occasional spindle. Been interested in turning some bowls for a long time, neighbor has gotten into turning so I had him walk me through my first bowl.

It seems I'm hooked. So I joined the AAW and the local chapter. Going to try turning some small bowls for while (I don't have a large lathe) and see where this slippery slope leads me.

Below is my first bowl, about a 12 inch one made of walnut.

Cory

View attachment 45904
That slope you reference is not only slippery, it is extremely steep!

Back